Hargrove (center) and Pigot (right) raced Porsches this weekend. Photo Courtesy of IMSA.

MRTI: Big weekends for Hargrove, Burkett away from primary series

Leave a comment

One of the most valuable lessons and things a young driver can do coming through the ladder series – whether open-wheel, sports cars or NASCAR – is gain seat time and race experience in other formulas different from their normal disciplines.

And this weekend, a pair of Canadians fully maximized their time in other series.

In IMSA’s Ultra 94 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Canada Presented by Michelin, Scott Hargrove managed to win both of the series’ first two races at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in Bowmanville, Ontario, outside Toronto.

The even more impressive part? Hargrove, the 19-year-old from Surrey, British Columbia, who is the 2013 USF2000 champion and current driver for Cape Motorsports with Wayne Taylor Racing in Pro Mazda, hadn’t so much as driven a sports car, ever, before this weekend. He was in a one-off entry in the No. 69 OpenRoad car.

“Two races, two wins,” Hargrove said, via IMSA.com. “I can’t ask for more than that. It’s phenomenal racing in these Porsche cars, and I can’t thank the OpenRoad guys enough for giving me a good car and being able to run up front all weekend. A phenomenal weekend for us, and hopefully we will be back and be able to run more races this year.”

After going two-for-two last weekend in Pro Mazda at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, Hargrove now has four race wins in two weekends. He and Pro Mazda teammate Neil Alberico put together a race compilation of their Indy races as “Mario Kart.”

Meanwhile at another picturesque road course, this time in the Finger Lakes region of New York at Watkins Glen International, USF2000 driver Daniel Burkett did something other than putting on a hot dog suit in his quest for sponsorship: he won both Atlantic Championship Series races, to extend his winning streak to four wins in as many starts this season.

“Coming in here I knew it would be more difficult than Road Atlanta, we would have to be on our game. We knew Jimmy (Simpson) would be fast here with his past experience,” said the Winnipeg native, who drives for Belardi Auto Racing in USF2000.

These two weren’t alone in making headlines. Hargrove’s Pro Mazda sparring partner Spencer Pigot, who won the first four races of that season, finished sixth and third in the two Porsche races. Pigot is able to run a full season in both championships – he’ll be with Alegra Motorsports in the Porsche series – due to a favorable schedule of no conflicts. Pigot first ran a Porsche at the 2012 Porsche Young Driver Academy at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Ala.

Mazda Road to Indy alumnus Jason Wolfe, who raced in USF2000 last year, also had a big weekend at CTMP winning two of the three Pirelli World Challenge Championships races in the Touring Car A category, driving a Kia Forte Koup. Wolfe now leads that class’ points standings. Other PWC CTMP winners were Michael DiMeo, who swept the Touring Car triple header, with Ernie Francis Jr. taking the other TCA win, and Brian Price (2 wins) and Nathan Stacy (1 win) winning in TCB. Stacy, 14, becomes the youngest winner in series history and eclipses, ironically, Francis Jr., who achieved the feat as a 15-year-old in TCB in 2013.

Hargrove, Pigot and Burkett will be back in action this weekend as the Mazda Road to Indy heads to Lucas Oil Raceway in Clermont, Ind., where Pro Mazda and USF2000 race their first oval event of the season in the “Night Before the 500.”

Red Bull, Aston Martin partnership continues into 2017

GAYDON, ENGLAND - JULY 05:  Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and Red Bull Racing talks on stage at the Aston Martin and Red Bull Racing Project AMRB 001 Unveil on July 5, 2016 at the Aston Martin Headquarters in Gaydon, England on July 5, 2016 in Gaydon, England.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The partnership between Red Bull Racing and Aston Martin will continue into 2017, Red Bull confirmed on Tuesday.

Branding on the Red Bull Formula 1 chassis will continue, while bigger news has come in terms of the AM-RB 001 hypercar.

Red Bull and Aston Martin announced that all 150 road-going cars of the 175 cars built (the other 25 are track-only specials) have been sold and customer deliveries will begin in early 2019.

An AM-RB 001 prototype is expected to run for the first time by the end of this season.

“We first conceived our Innovation Partnership with Aston Martin in the realization that it could be truly pioneering,” said Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing team principal.

“In blending our distinct but unique skills under a shared creative vision, we have already seen tangible development to both of our brands and businesses. The extraordinary success of the AM RB-001 is testament to the expert and collaborative spirit in which it was forged, and extending our relationship with Aston Martin through 2017 was a simple and pleasing decision.”

Aston Martin President and CEO Andy Palmer added,  “By bringing together the talents of Red Bull Racing and Aston Martin, AM-RB 001 is destined to become the defining hypercar of this decade and a hugely desirable investment for collectors and enthusiasts.

“Our relationship with Red Bull Racing has done for Aston Martin exactly what we expected it to do,” he continued. “It is helping us to continue to build our brand across the globe. Partnerships like this are good for business both in terms of technical innovation and brand awareness, so we are pleased to continue into 2017.”

FIA WEC Prologue changes date to avoid Papal visit clash

VATICAN CITY, VATICAN - FEBRUARY 14:  Pope Francis attends a meeting with engaged couples from all over the world gathered today, on the feast of St. Valentine, in St. Peter's Square   on February 14, 2014 in Vatican City, Vatican. During the event, organised by the Pontifical Council for the Family, Pope Francis emphasised that living together is 'an art, a patient, beautiful and fascinating journey' which can be summarized in three words: please, thank you and sorry.  (Photo by Franco Origlia/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The FIA World Endurance Championship Prologue has shifted dates, moving from its originally scheduled March 24-25 date to April 1-2 still at Autodromo di Nazionale, Monza.

The reasoning is that His Holiness Pope Francis will be making an official visit to Monza on those dates. Naturally, organizational, security and logistical preferences will follow for that.

The European Le Mans Series continues as planned on March 28 and 29 with its preseason test.

For fans of clashes, two more have been created on account of this date shift. The FIA Formula E Championship race at Mexico and Blancpain GT Series season opener at Misano fall on the same weekend as the Prologue.

The full revised calendar (for the moment, and for the last time, we hope) is below.

Wolff on Alonso to Mercedes rumors: ‘You have to consider Fernando’

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - NOVEMBER 13:  Fernando Alonso of Spain and McLaren Honda walks in the Paddock during the Formula One Grand Prix of Brazil at Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace on November 13, 2016 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  (Photo by Adam Pretty/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Toto Wolff has responded to speculation about Fernando Alonso moving to Mercedes for the 2017 Formula 1 season by saying that officials at the team “have to consider” the Spaniard.

Just five days after winning his maiden F1 title with Mercedes in Abu Dhabi, Nico Rosberg shocked the motorsport world by announcing his immediate retirement from racing.

The news has left Mercedes in need of a driver for 2017, but after boasting the best car on the grid for the past three years, the seat is highly coveted.

Alonso has one year to run on his McLaren contract, but has been linked with the drive for 2017 as he looks to win his first World Championship since 2006.

Speaking to British broadcaster Sky Sports, Mercedes executive chairman Wolff said that Alonso had to be considered as a candidate for the seat, but acknowledged that the two-time champion remains under contract.

“You have to consider Fernando,” Wolff said.

“He’s a driver that I respect a lot, and combines the talent, speed, experience – it’s all there.

“But he’s in a contract with McLaren-Honda at the moment. We just need to weigh all the other options up.”

Whoever Mercedes opts to sign for 2017 will partner Lewis Hamilton, who said last week that he would not insist on having number one status at the team.

Wolff said that Mercedes would continue to operate with its equal chances philosophy between its drivers in 2017, regardless of who was signed.

“We will maintain the system like we had,” Wolff said.

“We will always have equal status for all drivers, give them equal opportunity to the best of our ability. I say that, meaning Abu Dhabi…

“I think we owe it to the fans and owe it to ourselves that you can’t have a pecking order straight from the beginning. It’s not what we’d like to see happening.”

NHRA: JR Todd to Kalitta Funny Car, Troy Coughlin to Top Fuel

toddcoughlin
Photos: Kalitta Motorsports
1 Comment

In the wake of Del Worsham announcing he was leaving Kalitta Motorsports for his family team, the DHL Funny Car needed to be filled.

Today Kalitta Motorsports has confirmed Worsham’s replacement, with JR Todd the replacement there as he moves from Top Fuel to Funny Car. Meanwhile, Troy Coughlin Jr. will step up into Top Fuel.

The release is below:

Kalitta Motorsports is pleased to announce that current Top Fuel driver J.R. Todd is moving to the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car seat vacated by Del Worsham. In turn, Troy Coughlin Jr. will move from the planned part-time sixth team to a full-time seat aboard the SealMaster Top Fuel dragster.

Todd is making his return to the Funny Car class, but for the first time as a driver. He worked on Bob Gilberston’s Funny Car during the 2003-2005 NHRA seasons with current Kalitta employees Nicky Boninfante and Tommy DeLago.

“Connie told Jim O the DHL Toyota is a special car and that I was the right guy for the job, which was a huge compliment to me,” said Todd, who will make his Funny Car debut at the Circle K Winternationals in February. “I am going to miss Del as a teammate as he has always been one of my heroes. I want to also say a huge thanks to SealMaster and their awesome franchisees. They are great people and it was an honor to represent them.”

Todd turns to the Funny Car class after a career season aboard the SealMaster Toyota Top Fuel dragster. In 152 Top Fuel events, Todd has earned nine victories, 19 final round appearances, nine No.1 qualifiers and 149 round wins. He was the 2006 AAA Road to the Future rookie winner and has placed in the top five in the point standings two times, including a fourth-place effort this year.

“Ever since I worked with Nicky and Tommy D on a Funny Car, driving one has been in the back of my mind and most people have known that. The DHL Toyota has quite the legacy and it is a huge honor to be picked to drive it.”

DHL will continue as the primary sponsor on Todd’s Toyota Camry Funny Car for the entire season.

Coughlin, Jr. will have an elite team to drive for during his rookie season. In 2016, Todd took the SealMaster machine to a race win in Sonoma, 37 round wins and a top five finish in the point standings.

“I am thrilled to be competing full-time for Kalitta Motorsports in 2017 with an incredible backer like SealMaster and their franchise owners,” said Coughlin, Jr. “The car is one of the best looking machines on the race track and it is awesome to be able to know I will have a car that can compete for the title.”

Coughlin, Jr. won the 2013 Super Gas title in division 3 and is a two-time NHRA U.S. Nationals winner. In, 2015, he drove in the NHRA J&A Service Pro Mod series and was named Rookie of the Year. In his career, the 26-year-old driver has driven Junior Dragsters, Super Comp, Super Gas, Top Dragster and Pro Mod machines. Earlier this year, he earned his Top Fuel license.

NHRA Lifetime Achievement award winner and drag racing legend Connie Kalitta will continue alongside Rob Flynn in their roles after their outstanding 2016 season. SealMaster remains as the primary sponsor on the machine for all 24 events.

“I am excited for the future of our team,” said Jim Oberhofer, Vice President of Operations, Kalitta Motorsports. “First, I want to thank our incredible partners, DHL and SealMaster, for helping make this transition seamless. Both J.R. and Troy are ready for the 2017 season. J.R. is a very motivated driver and continues to be a perfect fit at Kalitta Motorsports. I know he will be a great ambassador for DHL and Toyota and I look forward to see what the season holds.  I am also thrilled to be able to get Troy into a full time seat. He proved to be a very precise driver during our test session in Las Vegas and I know he is going to do a great job in the SealMaster Top Fuel dragster.”

Finally, the Kalitta Motorsports Funny Cars will also see a reorganization of the team’s crew chiefs. Todd’s DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car will be led by Jon Oberhofer and Todd Smith as co-crew chiefs. Smith comes from teammate Paul Lee’s Funny Car. Former DHL co-crew chief Nicky Boninfante will join Tommy DeLago on the Tequila Patrón Toyota Camry Funny Car driven by Alexis DeJoria and Glen Huszar will lead Lee’s McLeod Racing Funny Car. All five Funny Car crew chiefs are former NHRA champions.

Both Coughlin, Jr. and Todd will have solid teammates backing them up. Coughlin, Jr. will partner with 2016 championship runner-up Doug Kalitta in the Top Fuel ranks, while Todd will be joined by Alexis DeJoria and Paul Lee in the Funny Car ranks. Coughlin, Jr., DeJoria, Kalitta and Todd will all compete full-time with Lee planning a part-time run.