NASCAR: Richard Petty discusses possible move of his team to Toyota

10 Comments

During an appearance at a function for Dollar General on Monday, seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty addressed reports that his Richard Petty Motorsports team was considering a move from Ford to Toyota.

A Motorsport.com story from earlier this month reported that Petty met with Toyota representatives during the Toyota Owners 400 weekend at Richmond International Raceway back in April.

Additionally, the site reported over the weekend that Petty visited Ford headquarters in Michigan last week.

In that same story, Ford Racing director Jamie Allison stated that the team’s contract with the Blue Oval was not set to expire at the end of this season.

“Obviously, these manufacturer/team contracts are not for public negotiations,” Allison said to writer Lee Spencer.

“We’re at a good place with the King…We are going through and understanding could be available and what their interests are.”

Meanwhile, during his appearance yesterday at DG headquarters in Goodlettsville, Tennessee, Petty took a big-picture approach to the subject.

“We’ve got to look at our team and look at our circumstances,” Petty said according to Mike Organ of The Tennessean. “We’ve got to look and say, ‘Okay, what’s going to be the best for us right now, what’s going to the best for us two years down the road, what’s going to be the best for us five years down the road?’”

Petty added: “We’re out looking and seeing what all the factories have got laid out for their future to see if we can fit into any of that.”

RPM currently fields two Fords for drivers Marcos Ambrose and Aric Almirola in the Sprint Cup series, and each of them have had some solid performances in the opening quarter of the season.

The team has been in the Ford camp since the 2009 season after jumping over from Dodge; that manufacturer would leave NASCAR at the end of 2012.

IndyCar 2017 driver review: Ed Carpenter

Getty Images
Leave a comment

MotorSportsTalk continues its annual review of the Verizon IndyCar Series drivers that raced in 2017. The 2017 season behind the wheel was better for Ed Carpenter than either of the last two years, but still wasn’t ideal results-wise in his six oval starts.

Ed Carpenter, No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet

  • 2016: 25th Place (5 Starts), Best Finish 18th, Best Start 5th, 0 Top-5, 0 Top-10, 1 Lap Led, 11.2 Avg. Start, 21.8 Avg. Finish
  • 2017: 22nd Place (6 Starts), Best Finish 7th, Best Start 2nd, 0 Top-5, 1 Top-10, 5 Laps Led, 11.3 Avg. Start, 12.3 Avg. Finish

Ed Carpenter’s 2017 season was largely one of frustration, both behind the wheel and as a team owner.

While a respectable turnaround in results occurred – Carpenter finished between seventh and 12th in five of his six oval races after a nightmare season of ending 18th or worse in each of his 2016 starts – this is still not what he sets out to strive for in the races he does. Lost opportunities loomed larger than any official result he or the Ed Carpenter Racing team achieved.

Carpenter and new teammate JR Hildebrand, in for the departed Josef Newgarden, dominated preseason testing in Phoenix but Hildebrand could only muster third in the race, Carpenter a season-best seventh. Then at Indianapolis, Carpenter (second) and Hildebrand (sixth) flew the flag for Chevrolet in qualifying and practice pace, but they fell to 11th and 16th on race day owing to a front-wing change and late-race penalty for passing before a restart.

Both drivers got collected in incidents at Texas. Hildebrand qualified and finished a season-best second in Iowa but that result came only after the ECR crew rebuilt his car from a crash in practice. Then Carpenter had a practice crash in Pocono and despite a rapid rebuild, they missed the clock to qualify by mere minutes and were unable to do so. Carpenter’s spin on a slick Gateway track at the start of the race sent him over Will Power’s nose assembly in one of the scarier looking incidents of the year, although fortunately he was OK.

In a similar refrain as we often write, it’s not that Carpenter’s lost his ability to drive and he remains one of the series’ savviest and smartest people in the paddock. There have been a lot of extenuating circumstances of late, and it almost felt as though this team had “empty nest” components. Since September, Carpenter has had to secure his team’s future with a move away from its Speedway, Ind. shop, line up Spencer Pigot for a full-time drive replacing Hildebrand in the No. 21 car, find a new road/street course driver in the No. 20 car, and manage both driving and owning himself.