Photo: INDYCAR

Good cause and increased comfort level highlights Pippa Mann’s third Indy 500 effort

Leave a comment

For Pippa Mann, her third start in the Indianapolis 500 is all about maximizing her opportunity and making the most out of her familiar resources.

She’s in a better place now this time than either 2011 or 2013. In 2011, she made the field in a one-off second car for Conquest Racing and hadn’t ever raced an IndyCar.

Last year, 2013, marked her first race in the new Dallara DW12 chassis, and her first IndyCar start since the end of the 2011 season.

But armed with the same engineer as her inaugural run – the talented Brandon Fry – the crew that most recently worked with Muscle Milk Pickett Racing to service her car, and Dale Coyne’s continued commitment to her development, the 2014 run is clearly a night and day difference compared to the other two for Mann.

“I’m so much more comfortable, but it’s not just having the DW12 experience,” she said Thursday during IMS media day. “It’s my second ‘500 in this chassis. It’s returning to the same team. I know the guys. And with a longer engine program, I’ve done full tank and traffic runs, so it all makes me feel so comfortable.

“I feel as comfortable as I have ever been; it’s almost to where I was in the white Indy Lights car,” she added. “I’m confident you’ll see the Susan G. Komen car heading to the front.”

The white Indy Lights car Mann refers to was her No. 11 entry for Sam Schmidt Motorsports in 2010, a year she made history as the first woman ever to win the pole position at Indianapolis, won her first race at Kentucky, and finished fifth in the championship.

The Susan G. Komen car she drives now, the pink No. 63 for Dale Coyne Racing, is of course, one of the bigger storylines for the world outside the niche racing community.

Mann’s the only female driver in this year’s field – there have been at least three or four every year from 2010 to 2013 previously – and is working tirelessly to raise awareness for Susan G. Komen and for breast cancer awareness. She’s also fundraising for the effort. More information on that, and donations, can be found on RaceWithPippa.com.

Her time in the spotlight has also increased this year as full-time radio analyst for the IMS Radio Network, alongside Paul Page. The pair have been a refreshing change of pace compared to past years, and for Mann, translating the analyst role to the cockpit gives her a very different view on how to handle her 32 competitors on Sunday.

“It’s a really interesting question,” she explained. “When you’re always planning to be getting back in the car, thinking that way, it definitely affects me. You can’t throw people under the bus, and you have to be as fair as possible. But it helps give me an overview into driving styles, which guys you’d want to be around and not, before you get back out there.”

Get back out there she will this Sunday, starting 22nd. Her Dale Coyne Racing teammates Justin Wilson and rookie Carlos Huertas start 14th and 21st, respectively. Despite a brief balance issue on Monday across the board, Mann’s confident that the DCR engineering staff will correct course and return to the front on Sunday. Realistically, a top-15 finish would be a good goal for Mann to hit.

“We’ve had a very good car in traffic and dirty air thus far,” she said. “Because I’m on a longer engine program, the Susan G. Komen car and I get to play more … it’s been a great learning experience and a lot of fun! We fell just outside of the window on Monday, but between Brandon, Mike Cannon (Wilson’s engineer) and the crew we’ll get it back.”

FIA approves Liberty Media purchase of F1

SINGAPORE - SEPTEMBER 16:  Chase Carey, Chairman of Formula One Group walks with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone in the Paddock in the Paddock during practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of Singapore at Marina Bay Street Circuit on September 16, 2016 in Singapore.  (Photo by Lars Baron/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

A day after Liberty Media Corporation’s shareholders approved the proposals for its impending acquisition of Formula 1, the FIA has now done the same.

The decision was taken at today’s World Motor Sport Council meeting in Geneva and was approved unanimously. Liberty said on Tuesday night it hoped to have the full transaction completed by the end of the 2017 first quarter.

The statement from the FIA reads:

“The transaction will see the transfer of 100% of the shares in Delta Topco to Liberty Media Group, one of the tracking stocks of Liberty Media Corporation.

“During the meeting, the representatives of the prospective new owner made a detailed presentation of their strategy. The members of the World Motor Sport Council then had the opportunity to ask questions about the specifics of the agreement, the ongoing working relationship with the FIA and Liberty’s plans for the sport.

“Liberty, Formula One Group and the FIA intend to collaborate to create a constructive relationship that will ensure the continued success and the development of the FIA Formula One World Championship in the long term.

“The World Motor Sport Council’s decision confirms the FIA’s belief that Liberty, as a renowned media organisation with expertise in both sport and entertainment, is clearly well positioned to ensure the continued development of its pinnacle Championship.

“The FIA holds a one per cent shareholding in Delta Topco. As part of the sale by CVC to Liberty Media Corporation, and in line with the agreements between the FIA and the Formula One Group, the FIA will be dragged along in the sale process under the same conditions as CVC and all the other shareholders.

“The FIA looks forward to working with the new owners of the Formula One Group on further developing the unrivalled global spectacle that is the FIA Formula One World Championship for all stakeholders.”

Bourdais, Coyne thankful to have had time to build over winter

BIRMINGHAM, AL - APRIL 08:  Sebastian Bourdais of France, driver of the #19 Dale Coyne Racing Dallara Honda, waits in the pit during practice for the IndyCar Series Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park on April 8, 2011 in Birmingham, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

With both Sebastien Bourdais and Ed Jones having been confirmed relatively early in this Verizon IndyCar Series offseason – by mid-November – it marked a change of course for both Dale Coyne Racing as a team, and for its re-signed lead driver.

Coyne’s a racing lifer and he and his Chicago-based team has been part of the IndyCar fabric for more than 30 years. But throughout that time, it had become something of a running joke that Coyne usually left his driver signings very late in the winter. He even warmed to the joke as the years have gone on.

In Bourdais’ case, not knowing whether he’d have a job year-to-year was always a threat, and became particularly worrisome last offseason when KVSH Racing only formally shored up the deal for him to be back for a third year the week of the IndyCar open test at Phoenix International Raceway in late February.

As such, knowing Coyne wanted to move the program forward – starting by getting the pieces done earlier – and knowing Bourdais wanted the stability and security throughout the offseason, it made sense the deal got done when it did. That peace of mind became evident once KVSH Racing again was set to face an uncertain future as the summer dragged into fall.

“It was massive,” Bourdais told NBC Sports. “It was the first winter I’m not dreading the phone call where someone says, ‘Hey, that went down, or that did, or this happened.’ It’s very very reassuring and appealing. It’s the biggest reason why I was looking for something else. It was just not going to change with the organization we had.

“It’s no one’s fault. ‘Sulli’ (James Sullivan) did an amazing job; Jimmy (Vasser) was helping and Kevin (Kalkhoven) did what he felt he wanted or could do. You couldn’t blame the situation for what it was. But it was all planning, then money ran short and things went bad. Ultimately I’m very happy with what we’re doing here. Hopefully we can produce!”

KVSH was notably bullish on Bourdais’ prospects in preseason last year, while Bourdais sought to downplay it, but a season of underachieving and lost opportunities left the one-car team an unrepresentative 14th in points.

Bourdais, knowing Coyne’s team isn’t regarded as a world-beater (yet, anyway) and with the Honda package still likely to lag a bit behind Chevrolet at most races, is again guarding against setting the expectations too high.

“I don’t want to get the expectations too high. That doesn’t help anyone,” Bourdais said. “But Dale has put a massive commitment behind the program. I’ve kind of managed to get him to agree and commit to it as early as he did. That was so crucial.

Bourdais and Coyne crew at Gateway test. Photo: IndyCar
Bourdais and Coyne crew at Gateway test. Photo: IndyCar

“There’s a lot of things that are working here. Mike Cannon (engineer) did a great job with Darren (Crouser, team manager). It’s the first time there’s that many engineers in the office. They don’t think they’ll be there for a year or two. They want to build something. Of course there are limitations and restrictions. Consistency in a group can go a long way on that. But we’re looking to produce the fruit of everyone’s hard work.”

The engineering shake-up at Coyne provides a veritable smorgasbord of engineering goodness in one room (more here via IndyCar.com). Bourdais’ chief engineer from KVSH, Olivier Boisson, also makes the switch to Coyne. Bourdais is reunited with his championship-winning engineer from the Champ Car days, Craig Hampson, as his lead engineer. Cannon will serve as lead on Jones’ car.

“I raced against him in Champ Car,” Bourdais laughed. “It’s crucial to have him stick around again. The more continuity in the team, the better.”

Coyne was meant to test December 9 at Sebring before a washout cut the test down in advance. The team’s first test with both cars in road and street course configuration is now at Sebring on January 24-25, with Bourdais then continuing in Florida into the weekend for the second year at the Rolex 24 at Daytona in one of the Ford Chip Ganassi Racing Ford GTs.

Bourdais has run the gamut of teammates in his career. Oriol Servia and Bruno Junqueira won races when Bourdais was at Newman/Haas and Graham Rahal impressed as a rookie. In recent years, late deals have left drivers such as Katherine Legge, Sebastian Saavedra and Stefano Coletti scrambling to get integrated into the team, despite their ability.

Jones is unproven at the IndyCar level, but Bourdais said the talent exists for the 21-year-old Dubai-based Brit, who’s found a home in the U.S. in Miami.

“Hell, he won the championship in Lights, so we know he has talent,” Bourdais said. “It’s crucial to make sure the second car doesn’t hurt where I was going. The budget on the second car is fine, so it shouldn’t affect us in a bad way.

“If Ed can achieve and help us raise the bar, even better. That’s pretty much the way I look at it all along. But the biggest thing was making sure it wouldn’t drain the effort on my car, because otherwise you’re better off being alone.”

Bourdais turns 38 at the end of February and will embark on his 12th season in IndyCar, 10th overall (he raced part-time for Coyne in 2011, when he returned to IndyCar and in 2012) looking to build on his career record of 35 wins.

Coyne has four wins all-time and seems a good bet to add to that at least once more this year. If Bourdais can re-enter the top-10 in points after a one-year slip, it should be a good first step in the team’s turnaround.

Jenson Button tests a Honda Civic Red Bull GRC car (VIDEO)

during practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of China at Shanghai International Circuit on April 15, 2016 in Shanghai, China.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jenson Button’s racing plans for 2017 aren’t settled yet, other than we know he’s staying affiliated with McLaren Honda as the team’s third and reserve driver.

Honda, of course, spreads its wings in so many other forms of motorsport, Red Bull Global Rallycross among them. And given Button’s love of rallying, you wondered if one day, the 2009 World Champion might test a Honda Civic that’s entered by the Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE team.

Wonder no more. Button posted this Instagram video of him testing a one of the OMSE Civics at Sebring International Raceway, and thanked OMSE team principal Andreas Eriksson for the opportunity. Button called the test “pure driving” and “pure joy” within the caption.

Button turns 37 tomorrow and it would be a gift not just for him, but for American fans, if this test were eventually to blossom into something more with the team. The OMSE team is yet to reveal its Red Bull GRC program with Honda for the second season of competition for the Civic.

Button isn’t the first high-profile open-wheel driver to have sampled the car, as IndyCar driver Conor Daly did so as well the day after the season finale in Los Angeles.

In action at Sebring with @olsbergsmse @hondaracing_hpd #puredriving #purejoy #rallyx #rallycross #rx

A photo posted by Jenson Button (@jensonbutton_22) on

NAPA returns to Rossi’s No. 98 at Andretti Autosport

during the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motorspeedway on May 29, 2016 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

After a shot-in-the-dark last-minute deal with Andretti-Herta Autosport to support Alexander Rossi’s No. 98 Honda at the 100th Indianapolis 500, NAPA Auto Parts entered into sponsorship immortality aboard the winning car.

The discussion from there was always going to be whether the relationship would continue and expand for either the rest of 2016 or into the 2017 Verizon IndyCar Series. After a one-weekend continuation into the Detroit doubleheader last year, NAPA and Andretti Autosport confirmed a greater relationship in 2017.

NAPA will serve as co-primary sponsor for Rossi’s car at seven races this season, including the month of May in Indianapolis. St. Petersburg will see the first NAPA appearance, with additional ones at Long Beach, Road America, Watkins Glen and Sonoma.

The NAPA adorned show car has made a number of appearances around the country, including a recent one at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

“We are pleased to announce our continued partnership with one of the more iconic brands in all of motorsports, the Andretti brand” stated NAPA President, Dan Askey. “We are equally excited to partner with one of the rising stars in the sport in Alexander Rossi and proud to have Alexander representing NAPA both on and off the track. We were fortunate to come on board in May of 2016 becoming a part of history as we rode along with Alexander capturing the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500. Andretti Autosport remains one of the elite teams in the IndyCar Series and we look forward to what 2017 holds.”

“NAPA is a storied, American brand and I couldn’t be more proud to announce our partnership is continuing,” added Andretti Autosport CEO Michael Andretti. “We were pleased to have previously announced that Alexander will be returning for the full season, and now to be able to confirm that NAPA is back on board – what a great way for us to start 2017. Our relationship with NAPA came together quickly during our Month of May program last year, and it wasn’t long before the partnership was written into history books. We can’t wait to add a few more pages to history together.”