Marcos Ambrose: Not looking to leave U.S. or Richard Petty Motorsports

Leave a comment

Marcos Ambrose is denying persistent rumors he will leave Richard Petty Motorsports once his current contract expires after this season.

While meeting with reporters Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600, Ambrose was asked if he anticipates remaining in the U.S. and in NASCAR next season.

“Yeah, I do,” Ambrose said. “I do anticipate racing in the U.S. There are a lot of changes in the midst at RPM and I’m part of that. I have to renew my contract with them, but I’m gonna do whatever I can to get Richard Petty where he wants to go and his whole company.”

RPM has substantially reinvested into the organization in the last two-plus years, including starting its first-ever research and development program. It’s forward-thinking moves such as that which make Ambrose want to remain with the team going forward.

“I’ve been part of the Petty Motorsport family since they went through all the turmoil with the (George) Gillett crossover and they’ve gone through various stages,” Ambrose said. “Obviously, they had to really just get some stability and then now we’ve gotten past stability and we’re working toward the future and bringing new sponsors to NASCAR.

“We definitely have more funding, we have more infrastructure, we have better people around us, and I think you’re going to the next level for Richard Petty Motorsports. I have seen direct results of the extra money that’s gone into our company.

“I think we needed to keep up and we certainly have made up some ground since 2013, but we’ve got a ways to go. You’ve got to look at everything to get better and I know that everybody at Richard Petty Motorsports is doing that, they really are looking at it from the outside-in, seeing what they can do and where they need to go to be the best they can be.”

Richard Petty himself said during January’s NASCAR Media Tour that he wasn’t sure whether Ambrose wanted to stay in NASCAR, let alone with RPM after this season.

“I don’t know how much longer he wants to stay in the U.S.,” Petty said at the time. “You know, (Ambrose has) come a long way. He’s sort of a hero in Australia just because he’s running Cup. His big deal is if he could win on a round and around racetrack, that would be the optimum for him. If he did do that, he’d probably just go home and say, ‘Thank you guys,’ but I don’t know.”

Ambrose did not specifically address whether contract negotiations are ongoing with RPM, nor did he discuss reports that he may return to his native Australia to compete in that country’s very popular V8 Supercars category in 2015 (potentially for a new team rumored to be owned by NASCAR and IndyCar team owner Roger Penske).

As for a number of recent reports that RPM may leave Ford at the end of this season, and jump to Toyota or Chevrolet in 2015, Ambrose was non-committal.

“I haven’t given them input, but we have a great opportunity at Richard Petty Motorsports to improve the situation,” Ambrose said. “Whenever you get a period of time like this where you can shuffle the cards and shuffle the deck, it allows your team to get better.

“So I think they’re in a great position. They’ve got choices, which is the most important thing, and I’m sure they’ll make the right choices for Richard Petty Motorsports and I fully support them whatever they choose to do.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne