Dennis open to Fernando Alonso making McLaren return

Leave a comment

Ron Dennis has said that he would have no problem with Fernando Alonso returning to McLaren despite their acrimonious year together back in 2007, which will only act to fuel rumors the Spaniard could be set to leave Ferrari.

However, Dennis did concede that the team needs to improve if it is to lure the two-time world champion away.

“I would have no problem,” he told Spanish publication Marca. “But we need a competitive package before we are able to attract drivers like Fernando.”

The McLaren CEO returned to the day-to-day running of the Formula 1 team at the end of last year after its worst campaign in thirty years, replacing Martin Whitmarsh. He has since looked to revamp the team with the arrival of young driver Kevin Magnussen, and a deal with Honda has already been struck that will see the Japanese manufacturer power McLaren in 2015.

Alonso’s one year stint with McLaren in 2007 was a story of success and conflict. The Spaniard expected to be the number one driver at the team alongside then-rookie teammate Lewis Hamilton, but tensions grew when the Briton challenged him. The season was also marred by the spygate scandal, which resulted in the team being excluded from the constructors’ championship and fined $100m. Ultimately, Alonso and Hamilton finished level on 109 points, one behind eventual champion Kimi Raikkonen.

At the end of the year, Alonso walked away and returned to Renault, with whom he won his world titles in 2005 and 2006. Upon joining Ferrari in 2010, a new era of success for both the driver and the team was expected, but the car has rarely given him a chance of winning the title despite coming close in 2010 and 2012.

Last summer, Alonso sparked rumors that he might be on the lookout for a seat elsewhere when he was quoted as saying that he wanted “someone else’s car” for his birthday. Despite him since insisting that he will remain at Ferrari, by opening the door, Dennis could yet tempt him to come back to Woking upon Honda’s return.

Should Alonso indeed make the move, it would most probably result in Jenson Button’s contract not being renewed, and given that he is in the final few years of his career, it could force him into retirement.

The move would also have implications for McLaren junior Stoffel Vandoorne, who is widely acknowledged as being Button’s natural successor, and is thought of very highly by the team.

However, as Dennis said, so long as McLaren remains fighting for the small points, it will take a lot to tempt Alonso away from Maranello. This rumor is only set to rumble on for the rest of the season, though.

Recapping the proper Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel rivalry (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastien Vettel are the two most decorated drivers currently on the Formula 1 grid, with seven World Championships between them (four for Vettel, and three for Hamilton).

However, their paths have rarely crossed on the track, and only in 2010 did both drivers battle each for a World Championship in the same year. They also battled Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber that year, with Vettel emerging on top to claim his first World Championship.

However, the 2017 season sees Hamilton and Vettel in the two best cars on the grid, and they have gone head-to-head multiple times already this year, with each claiming two victories through the first five races. Currently, Vettel leads Hamilton 104-98 in the world championship, and the two men are developing a strong on-track rivalry.

Monaco Grand Prix coverage continues with FP3 and qualifying on Saturday. Full times are linked here.

 

Take a look behind the scenes of Fernando Alonso’s Indy 500 qualifying runs (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

In Friday’s NASCAR AMERICA Motorsports Special on NBCSN, we take you behind the scenes during F1 superstar Fernando Alonso’s qualifying runs for the Indy 500, including when he was on the pole for a brief period. He’ll eventually start fifth. 

Simulator ride tells what Fernando Alonso can expect in Indianapolis 500 (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

On Friday’s NASCAR AMERICA Motorsports Special on NBCSN, Parker Kligerman and his backseat driver, Kyle Petty, took to the iRacing simulator to make a mock run around Indianapolis Motor Speedway in preparation for Sunday’s Indianapolis 500.

They look at the challenges of IMS, as well as the challenges two-time Formula One champion Fernando Alonso will face in the first oval track race in his illustrious career. Alonso is among the favorites in the race and will take the green flag from the middle of Row 2 (fifth position).

Check out the above video.  

Legendary announcer Ken Squier gets you ready for Sunday’s big day of racing (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Sunday is the biggest day of the year in motorsports, starting in the morning with Formula 1’s legendary Monaco Grand Prix.

Then, at Noon ET, it’s the 101st running of the Indianapolis 500 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The final part of the tripleheader of racing is NASCAR’s longest race of the season, the 400-lap, 600-mile Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Newly-named NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2018 inductee Ken Squier gives you a great primer for what promises to be a memorable day around the world (see video above).