If the first race of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship was any indication, this is going to be one exciting summer.
The series kicked off at Glen Helen Raceway on Saturday, and the overall win in the 450 Class came down to a battle between two Red Bull KTM teammates – two-time 450MX champion Ryan Dungey and 450MX rookie Ken Roczen.
In the second moto of the day, Dungey spent most of the race chasing down Roczen. Finally within striking distance on the last lap, Dungey charged hard and made his move with just a few turns left in the race, overtaking Roczen and just narrowly beating him to the checkered flag.
By virtue of a third-place finish in Moto 1 and a win in Moto 2, Dungey also took home the overall victory. Roczen emerged as the runner-up with 2-2 finishes but is just one point behind Dungey in the standings entering the next race.
Click here to watch the final lap of the battle between Dungey and Roczen.
The 250 Class was considerably less competitive. Jeremy Martin, who was flying a bit under the radar as a championship threat this year, dominated the competition – winning both of the 250MX motos by a wide margin. Racing just his second full season as a pro, the kid from Minnesota has grabbed himself the early points lead.
Visit ProMotocross.com for more video highlights and recaps from each of today’s motos.
The series stays in California next weekend when Hangtown hosts the second round.
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.
Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.
“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”
Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.
But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.
“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.
Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.
The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.
Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.
It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.
Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.
Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.