Franck Montagny confirmed for Andretti’s Formula E team


No big surprise here but Frenchman Franck Montagny has been confirmed as the first of two drivers for Andretti Autosport’s FIA Formula E program.

This means Montagny will have raced for Michael Andretti’s organization in sports cars (2008, ALMS Acura P2), IndyCar (2009 and 2014 Dallara-Hondas) and now FE. Montagny enjoyed being back in an IndyCar for the first time in five years at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, but was taken out by fellow GPI one-0ffer Martin Plowman mid-race.

“It is a great honor to be racing again with Andretti Autosport and Michael Andretti.” Montagny said in a team release. “I worked a great deal with the team in 2008 and 2009, and again this year, and working together on this new electric challenge will be exciting. I am convinced that this new fully-electric technology in the automotive industry will become a very important characteristic of our day to day lives in the future, and this high-level racing competition will very quickly bring new technical developments just as Formula 1 did in the past for everyday automobiles.”

Montagny also competed in F1 in 2006 and has 12 starts at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the most recent coming in 2012 with OAK Racing.

The team will confirm its second driver, or drivers that could rotate, at a later date. Indianapolis 500 champion Ryan Hunter-Reay expressed some interest during the day after media day. With the Verizon IndyCar Series schedule concluding August 30, drivers are available once the FE season begins September 13, in Beijing.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski