IndyCar Detroit Auto Racing

Helio Castroneves on pole for IndyCar Race 1 at Detroit


Team Penske’s Helio Castroneves has captured the first pole of his Verizon IndyCar Series season after throwing down a Firestone Fast Six lap of 1:17.5362 this morning at Detroit’s Belle Isle Park.

The Brazilian, who was denied his fourth Indianapolis 500 crown last weekend by Ryan Hunter-Reay, will be joined on the front row for today’s Race 1 of the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit by Andretti Autosport’s James Hinchcliffe.

70 laps of hard racing is coming up this afternoon on the 13-turn, 2.36-mile Belle Isle street circuit, but that didn’t stop Castroneves from having a joyful celebration upon capturing the pole.

“The car is spectacular,” Castroneves told IndyCar Radio. “Even brushing the wall a little bit Montoya-style, it feels great. The car is on rails, man! It is awesome!

“The car we had in Indy was amazing, and it feels like the momentum has carried right now, like we wanted.”

The pole also brought him a bit closer to open-wheel history, as Curt Cavin of the Indianapolis Star tweeted:

Meanwhile, Hunter-Reay will have a long climb ahead of him in today’s first race of the Detroit doubleheader.

The American driver has had a whirlwind week of media duties after defeating Castroneves in a Brickyard classic, but today on Belle Isle, he brushed the wall and bent the rear suspension on his No. 28 DHL Honda during the first round of qualifying.

That little mistake will have him lining up 21st on the grid for Race 1.

Several other big names will be starting toward the rear of the field as well, including Simon Pagenaud, one of the winners in last year’s doubleheader here.

Pagenaud was called for qualifying interference on Juan Pablo Montoya during the first round and lost his two fastest laps in that round.

That was enough to keep him from advancing to Round 2, and he and his Schmidt Peterson Motorsports team vociferously argued against the call. SPM general manager Rob Edwards tweeted the following afterwards:


Going back up front, Bryan Herta Autosport rookie Jack Hawksworth will line up on Row 2 alongside the other Detroit winner from one year ago, Mike Conway, who’s back in the car for Ed Carpenter Racing this weekend.

Chip Ganassi Racing’s Ryan Briscoe was also strong enough to get into the Firestone Fast Six, and he was able to post the fifth-fastest time. He’ll start on the inside of Penske’s Juan Pablo Montoya in Row 3.

Here’s the full qualifying results for today’s race, which will take the green flag shortly after 3:30 p.m. ET (check local listings)…

Belle Isle Park
Qualifying results

1. 3-Helio Castroneves, 1:17.5362 seconds, 109.110 mph
2. 27-James Hinchcliffe, 1:17.9788, 108.491
3. 98-Jack Hawksworth, 1:18.0731, 108.360
4. 20-Mike Conway, 1:18.3015, 108.044
5. 8-Ryan Briscoe, 1:18.8098, 107.347
6. 2-Juan Pablo Montoya, 1:19.7296, 106.109
7. 11-Sebastien Bourdais, 1:17.9806, 108.489
8. 10-Tony Kanaan, 1:18.0200, 108.434
9. 15-Graham Rahal, 1:18.0355, 108.412
10. 9-Scott Dixon, 1:18.0630, 108.374
11. 34-Carlos Munoz, 1:18.1450, 108.260
12. 18-Carlos Huertas, 1:18.4772, 107.802
13. 17-Sebastian Saavedra, 1:18.3622, 107.960
14. 67-Josef Newgarden, 1:18.5309, 107.728
15. 14-Takuma Sato, 1:18.3689, 107.951
16. 12-Will Power, 1:18.6807, 107.523
*17. 77-Simon Pagenaud, 1:18.4709, 107.811
18. 25-Marco Andretti, 1:18.8743, 107.259
19. 19-Justin Wilson, 1:18.5181, 107.746
20. 83-Charlie Kimball, 1:19.1176, 106.929
21. 28-Ryan Hunter-Reay, 1:19.8292, 105.976
22. 7-Mikhail Aleshin, 1:19.6300, 106.241
*Penalized two fastest laps for interference

Gutierrez strongly considering alternatives to Haas F1 for 2017

SINGAPORE - SEPTEMBER 15:  Esteban Gutierrez of Mexico and Haas F1 walks in the Paddock  during previews ahead of the Formula One Grand Prix of Singapore at Marina Bay Street Circuit on September 15, 2016 in Singapore.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Esteban Gutierrez says that he is strongly considering aleer native options to Haas for 2017 as the American team continues to wait before making a decision on its Formula 1 line-up.

Gutierrez returned to F1 full-time in 2016 after one year away, joining NASCAR team co-owner Gene Haas’ new racing operation.

Gutierrez has failed to score any points in the opening 18 races of the year, while teammate Romain Grosjean has 28 to his name.

Haas is known to be currently considering its line-up for 2017, with Grosjean poised to stay.

Gutierrez’s future is less clear, but said in Thursday’s FIA press conference ahead of the Mexican Grand Prix that he wanted it to be resolved in the next two weeks.

“I think Gene has been very clear in the media. They want to wait a few races,” Gutierrez said.

“Fortunately we have other options which we are now considering strongly.

“I think it would be important to close something soon because we cannot risk to just wait a few more races to the end of the season, and risk falling between two chairs.

“Things are looking good for next season.”

When asked if he had a personal deadline for firming up his 2017 plans, Gutierrez said: “The deadline should be in the next two weeks.”

Should Gutierrez leave Haas, drives at Force India and Renault are likely to be on the Mexican’s radar, with both teams having one free seat.

Tony and Lauren Kanaan welcome new baby Max into the world

SONOMA, CA - SEPTEMBER 17:  Tony Kanaan of Brazil drives the #10 NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet Dallara during practice for the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma at Sonoma Raceway on September 17, 2016 in Sonoma, California.  (Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Tony Kanaan and wife Lauren have welcomed a new baby into the world, with “TK” announcing the birth of son Max on Thursday.

Max joins other sons Deco and Leo in the Kanaan family. Kanaan reported both mom and baby are doing well.

This is the latest new arrival to the Verizon IndyCar Series, with Ryan Hunter-Reay and wife Beccy welcoming their third son Rhodes (after Ryden and Roczen) in September, and with Will Power and wife Liz expecting their first child in December.

Kanaan has re-signed with Chip Ganassi Racing and will drive the team’s No. 10 NTT Data Honda once more in 2017.

Strakka Racing cuts short WEC season due to engine issues

NORTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - APRIL 17:  The Strakka Racing Gibson Nissan of Nick Leventis, Danny Watts and Jonny Kane drives during the FIA World Endurance Championship Six Hours of Silverstone race at the Silverstone Circuit on April 17, 2016 in Northampton, England.  (Photo by Ker Robertson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Strakka Racing will take no further part in the 2016 FIA World Endurance Championship season due to engine issues.

Strakka has raced in the LMP2 class throughout 2016 with a Nissan-powered Gibson car, recording a best finish of fourth at Le Mans, the Nürburgring and in Mexico.

However, ongoing engine issues, – the most recent occurring in Fuji two weeks ago – difficulties getting a new engine into China for the upcoming 6 Hours of Shanghai and the severity of a possible penalty in Bahrain have prompted the British team to end its season early.

“The engine problem experienced in Japan, related to crankshaft pressure build up, is the fourth the team has encountered since the Bahrain rookie test last November and left the team with no spare units for the final round,” a statement from Strakka reads.

“With customs regulations making it near impossible to ship another engine to China and, having already exhausted its allocation of engines for 2016 with a pre-season issue and a further retirement at Spa, the team would have to take a three-minute stop and go penalty in Bahrain, effectively preventing any chance to be competitive.”

“It’s very sad that we have not been able to complete the championship due to issues beyond our control,” team principal Dan Walmsley added.

“I’d like to thank the WEC organizers, the logistics team and the engineers at Gibson for their efforts to try to get us back out on track but it just wasn’t feasible to get an engine to China and taking the penalty in Bahrain would have seen us nowhere near the rest of the P2 runners.

“We did consider all options, including trying to borrow a unit from another team but the specific fitting kit for the Gibson and the fact we’d still have to take a penalty meant we had to take the tough decision not to race.

“We’d like to apologize to our sponsors, fans and supporters not to be out racing but we will soon be announcing, before the end of November, our plans for 2017.”

F1 2017 pre-season test dates confirmed

MONTMELO, SPAIN - MAY 18:  (EDITORS NOTE: Image was created using a variable planed lens) Sparks fly as Max Verstappen of Netherlands and Red Bull Racing overtakes Jordan King of Great Britain and Manor Racing during day two of formula one testing at Circuit de Catalunya on May 18, 2016 in Montmelo, Spain.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya has officially confirmed the dates for Formula 1’s pre-season tests in 2017.

Pre-season testing has traditionally been held in Barcelona, but a number of teams were pushing to move it to Bahrain ahead of the 2017 season.

However, after teams failed to achieve unanimity, the decision was taken to keep testing in Barcelona ahead of the 2017 season.

While the dates for pre-season testing were widely reported and known, the track has now officially confirmed when it will host running.

The first four-day test will begin on February 27 and run to March 2, before a four-day break.

The second four-day test will begin on March 7 and finish on March 10.

Testing in Barcelona will provide a first glimpse of the revised F1 cars on-track together in 2017, with the technical regulations being overhauled for the new season.

The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya will also play host to the Spanish Grand Prix from May 12-14 2017.


1. Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya – February 27 – March 2
2. Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya – March 7-10

In-season (TBC)
1. Bahrain International Circuit – April 18-19
2. Silverstone – July 11-12