What to watch for: IndyCar at Detroit, Race 1

Leave a comment


Much like Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama, Detroit’s Belle Isle Park hides a grueling circuit beneath its beautiful setting. It’s a major shift for these drivers just one week after the Indianapolis 500. Ryan Briscoe’s explanation to the AP sums it up perfectly: “The Indy 500 is not a physical event, but it’s extremely mentally draining. In Detroit, you get beat up with all the bumps because this is one of the more physical circuits we come to and we race it twice in two days.”


Today’s qualifying session saw multiple surprises with guys like Will Power (16th), 2013 Detroit Race 2 winner Simon Pagenaud (17th), and ‘500’ winner Ryan Hunter-Reay (21st) all failing to escape the first round. On a course as challenging as Belle Isle, that may be too big a mountain to climb in today’s 70-lapper. But these are three of the best road/street racers in the IndyCar paddock, and they’re going to give it their best shot.


Last time Conway was in Ed Carpenter’s car was at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, and damage sustained during the big start-line crash made for a disappointing result. But now he returns to Belle Isle, where in last year’s Race 1, he flat-out whipped the field in Dale Coyne’s second car. It may be too much to expect another tour de force performance from the Long Beach winner, but he can definitely take another checkered flag in the Motor City from fourth on the grid.


You always have to bring this battle up any time IndyCar comes to GM’s backyard. And this, too: Honda has won all three Detroit races since this event’s revival in 2012. Last year was particularly grim for the Bowtie, with the Race 1 runner-up from Ryan Hunter-Reay (now a Honda man for Andretti Autosport) keeping Honda from sweeping all of the podium spots that weekend. In the ‘500’, Honda had four cars – all from Andretti – in the Top 6. The Chevy camp will be bent on stopping that momentum cold.

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski