Dover runner-up Brad Keselowski joins growing list of drivers blaming pit crews for coming up short

2 Comments

Brad Keselowski is likely getting a bit tired of these woulda, coulda, shoulda finishes.

For the fourth time this season, Keselowski had a great run, was catching race winner Jimmie Johnson in the closing laps, but once again fell short in Sunday’s FedEx 400 Benefitting Autism Speaks.

Sure, Keselowski started from the pole and finished second, which most would consider a very good showing. But the Michigan native takes more of a Ricky Bobby viewpoint: he wasn’t so much runner-up as he was the first loser.

“We just had an up-and-down day,” Keselowski said after Sunday’s race. “I started up front, and that’s a part, and faded to the back pretty early in the race. Just weren’t where we needed to be in the car.

“(Crew chief) Paul Wolfe and the team made some good adjustments and got us where we needed to be, and took back off and had a couple really strong runs. We drove from … 13th or 14th up to second there. I thought we were going to get a crack at Jimmie and then that last caution came out and we just kind of whiffed on pit road, came out way behind.”

While discouraged at the slow final pit stop, Keselowski did manage to gain back what he lost in the closing laps. He just ran out of track, time and laps.

“We drove back up there, and with the help of the restart got up to second, and I think we were pretty close to even to Jimmie (Johnson), it was just a matter of who was going to be out front, and we just never could really take advantage of our pit stall to get in front of him.”

While Keselowski has spent much of his Sprint Cup career lauding the overall performance of his Team Penske pit crew, it’s clear he’s been frustrated ever since he won the Sprint Cup championship in 2012.

Even with recent changes on the No. 2 pit crew, it appears he’s joined a growing group of fellow drivers who have increasingly been blaming their pit crews for finishes of anything less than a win – even if it’s a runner-up showing.

“We’re just not where we want to be,” Keselowski said of the No. 2 pit crew. “We haven’t been where we want to be for probably the last year and a half, and it’s keeping us from winning races.

“You know, I think that’s the bottom line. We’re making adjustments and we’re going to continue to make adjustments until we get it right. I feel really good about the last one we made, and the guy who stepped in did an excellent job in his position, but we still weren’t where we needed to be in others. We have to keep working.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Formula One: Recapping the past week’s news

Photo: Getty Images
Leave a comment

While the FIA Formula 1 World Championship is still two months away from beginning its 2018 season, this past week did bring about news items that filled out the 2018 grid and shed some light on individual team and car launches as the season-opening Australian Grand Prix draws closer.

Below is a recap of F1 news from this past week:

Williams Signs Sirotkin for 2018 Drive, Names Kubica as Reserve Driver

The saga of the second seat at Williams Martini Racing was finally resolved early on in the week, with former Renault Sport F1 Team test driver Sergey Sirotkin officially confirmed as a teammate to the incumbent Lance Stroll in 2018.

The announcement concluded months of speculation that saw multiple drivers test for the team in an auditioning capacity. Most notably, Robert Kubica looked to be a main contender for the seat before Sirotkin emerged as the favorite.

However, Kubica, who has not raced in Formula 1 since a devastating rally accident in 2011 left him with brutal injuries to his right arm, was named as a reserve and development driver for the team.

This announcement also completes the 2018 Formula 1 driver lineup, with all 11 teams having their seats now filled. Among those who were left without F1 drives are Paul Di Resta, who drove for Williams at the Hungarian Grand Prix in relief of Felipe Massa and even tested with them during the Winter months, and Antonio Giovinazzi, who filled in for Pascal Wehrlein at the Australian and Chinese Grands Prix.

Former Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat is also without a race seat for 2018, but did sign on with Scuderia Ferrari as a development driver.

Mercedes, McLaren Reveal Dates for Their 2018 Car Launches

While most teams have not yet released dates for when their 2018 cars will be publicly launched, three notables have.

Mercedes AMG Petronas will introduce its 2018 challenger on February 22nd, the same day Ferrari is doing so, while McLaren will unveil its car one day later on the 23rd.

Testing will commence on February 26th at Circuit de Catalunya.

Follow@KyleMLavigne