Did Darrell Waltrip just drop bombshell: Edwards to Penske, Biffle to MWR?

2 Comments

Old DW may have just spilled the beans on where Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle will wind up next season.

And if Darrell Waltrip’s body language and hinting is any indication, neither driver will be back with Roush Fenway Racing.

During Sunday’s prerace show on FOX, anchor Chris Myers asked Waltrip if the two free agents are leaving RFR, and if so, where will their new home in 2015 be.

The first part of Waltrip’s reply wasn’t totally surprising.

“Here’s my prediction,” Waltrip said. “Carl will stay with Ford. I don’t know if it’ll stay at Roush. It might be with Penske, but he will stay with Ford.”

But then Waltrip dropped an obvious bombshell.

Reaching over to put his right hand on the shoulder of younger brother Michael, who just happens to own Michael Waltrip Racing, DW’s body language and then verbiage said it all – and left Michael staring straight ahead almost in shock.

“And Greg Biffle will go to some two-car team that maybe one time had a third car,” Darrell Waltrip said.

(MWR was a three-car team prior to this season, after NAPA left at the end of 2013 in the fallout of the race manipulation scandal at Richmond last fall.)

In an attempt to quickly try and cover up what his older brother just said – and obviously deflect that scenario (probably because MWR isn’t ready to make a potential announcement yet) – Michael gave his take on it.

With a very non-plussed look upon his face.

“Uhhhhhh, I think Carl goes and Greg stays,” Michael Waltrip said. “I think the Biff stays at Roush, he’s going to be the veteran, the anchor to that rookie lineup for the young guys that are going to race at Roush. So, he goes, the other cat stays.”

By saying “he goes” after just talking about Biffle, there’s an implication that Michael may have just confirmed what Darrell predicted.

Don’t you just love brotherly love?

Updated: MWR co-owner Rob Kaufman tweeted this about an hour after Waltrip’s report, adding further ammo to DW’s analysis.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Takuma Sato’s likeness revealed on Borg-Warner Trophy (PHOTOS)

Photos; Walt Kuhn
1 Comment

INDIANAPOLIS – Rather than the traditional December unveil, this year’s reveal newest likeness added to the Borg-Warner Trophy came Tuesday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.

Takuma Sato got to see the result of the sculpting done by William Behrends and then turned from wax, clay and ceramic into sterling silver on Tuesday evening, as the winner of the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil saw his face revealed on the trophy.

Sato took the No. 26 Ruoff Home Mortgage Honda for Andretti Autosport to the win in thrilling fashion this year over Helio Castroneves, denying the Brazilian his fourth Indianapolis 500 victory in the process. It atoned for his near-miss in 2012, driving for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, the team he’ll return to in 2018.

It’s been a whirlwind last week-plus for Sato, doing the podium interviews at the Japanese Grand Prix, reflecting on his Indianapolis 500 triumph, then sharing the victory spoils with another Japanese pilot in Yoshihide Muroya, who won the Red Bull Air Race World Championship at Indianapolis this weekend.

Photos of Sato’s face on the most unique trophy in sports are below. This post will be updated following tonight’s full unveil. (All photos: Walt Kuhn)