Leave Kimi alone, he’s still focused on F1


Kimi Raikkonen has rejected claims suggesting that he may no longer be interested in Formula 1, affirming his focus on returning to winning ways with Ferrari in 2014.

The Finn famously walked away from Ferrari and the sport at the end of 2009 in order to pursue other ventures, including rallying and a one-off NASCAR appearance. When he returned in 2012 with Lotus, he appeared to have his old spark back, but after being forced out of Enstone due to a lack of payment, he returned to Ferrari for this season.

However, it has not gone entirely to plan. Raikkonen currently sits 12th in the drivers’ standings with just 17 points, and is some 44 points behind teammate Fernando Alonso. Nevertheless, he remains as determined as ever.

“I have more experience compared to when I won the title and I am a few years older but I don’t feel [different], and I still have a great desire to race,” Raikkonen explained.

“As for rallying? Certainly I would like to do more of it but for now I’m completely focused on Formula 1.”

In terms of the championship, though, Raikkonen has written off his hopes of a second title this year, believing that Mercedes will continue to dominate as it has done so far this year.

“I think it is very difficult for anyone to battle with the Mercedes drivers but you never know,” he said. “I would like it to be us even if that will be hard, especially for me personally, given the position in the championship.

“But I have always been used to fighting and together with the team, which is still hard at work on the development of the F14 T, I hope to be able to get some good results.

“As I’ve said, we are doing an incredible amount of work and I think we will sort out our problems, but you need time. If we manage it before the end of the season the results will come because my motivation is intact.”

Newgarden fastest as Castroneves returns in weather-shortened Barber test

Photo: IndyCar
1 Comment

The Verizon IndyCar Series took to Barber Motorsports Park on Tuesday for an open test, with 24 entries tackling the 2.38-mile road course.

Weather intervened in the afternoon, preventing nearly the entire field from going out, but the weather held off during the morning enough for one session to be run in its entirety.

Team Penske’s Josef Newgarden led the way, with a quick lap of 1:07.979, ahead of Team Penske teammates Will Power and Helio Castroneves. For Castroneves, this marked his first IndyCar outing of 2018.

Helio Castroneves was back in an IndyCar on Tuesday at Barber Motorsports Park. Photo: IndyCar

Sporting the Pennzoil “yellow submarine” paint scheme, Castroneves turned 41 laps around Barber in the morning session, with a quick lap of 1:08.315. He was also the only driver to venture out on track in the afternoon, completing eight laps.

The Dale Coyne Racing duo of Sebastien Bourdais and Zachary Claman De Melo completed the top five.

Results are below.