Alexander Rossi ready for FP1 duty in Canada for Caterham

1 Comment

Formula One is heading toward its first of two North American stops this season with the Canadian Grand Prix, and that means it’s almost time for American driver and Caterham reserve Alexander Rossi to suit up.

Back in April, Caterham confirmed that Rossi, the only American with a FIA superlicense, would run for the team in FP1 at both this weekend’s race in Montreal and again in the fall at the United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas.

Rossi has been diligently preparing with lots of simulator work and hopes that it will help him as he steps into the cockpit of the real-life, Renault-powered CT05 at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

“FP1 in Montreal will be my first drive of the year in the 2014 F1 car, but after the amount of laps I’ve done in the sim with the CT05, I’m already pretty familiar with how it’ll be inside the cockpit,” he said in a team release.

“Obviously, it’s not quite the same as actually being out on track, but I have a lot of F1 mileage under my belt with the various FP1s and test days I’ve completed and having driven in FP1 in Canada last year, I know I can go straight to work and help the team complete its plan for the session.

The 22-year-old has already had some FP1 experience with Caterham. In 2012, he drove Heikki Kovalainen’s car in FP1 at Barcelona, and in last year’s Canadian round, he did the same in Charles Pic’s car.

As you’d expect, Rossi is grateful to have another opportunity to drive an F1 machine.

“The chances for young drivers like me to be in current-season cars on track are very limited, and obviously every lap counts over a race weekend,” he said.

“But the fact the team sees that I can add value from the work I do in the car, and they can keep helping me to learn, shows great support and how committed they are to developing young talent.”

Last year in Montreal, Rossi had to deal with wet conditions that limited his practice time on the track. This year, he’s hopeful to have more cooperative weather and more laps – but is ready to deal with rain again if need be.

“The weather should hopefully be dry, so if that stays true we should have a full session run and be out as the green lights come on,” he said.

“If it rains, then so be it. I’ll still be focused 100 percent on the job the team asks me to do.”

Michael Andretti looking forward to new Australian Supercars venture

Getty Images
Leave a comment

If it seems like Michael Andretti is out to conquer the world, he is – kind of.

The former IndyCar star turned prolific team owner has won three of the last four Indianapolis 500s and five overall, second only to Roger Penske’s 16 Indy 500 triumphs.

Along the way, in addition to expanding his own IndyCar and Indy Lights operation, the son of Mario Andretti and the primary shareholder of Andretti Autosport has also branched out into Global RallyCross and Formula E racing in recent years.

And now, Andretti has further expanded his brand internationally, following Penske to the world down under — as in the world of Australian V8 Supercars.

Andretti has teamed with Supercars team owner Ryan Walkinshaw, along with veteran motorsports marketer and executive director of McLaren Technology Group and United Autosports owner and chairman, Zak Brown.

Together, the three have formed Walkinshaw Andretti United, based in suburban Melbourne, Australia. The new team kicks off the new season with the Adelaide 500 from March 1-4.

“It’s just extending our brand and putting it out there,” Andretti told NBC Sports. “The Supercars are such a great series.

“It all started with Zach Brown calling me and said ‘You have to talk to Ryan Walkinshaw. He’s got something interesting to talk to you about.’

“We talked and literally in like a half-hour, we said, ‘Let’s figure out how we’re going to make this work.’ And then Zack was like, ‘Hey, what about me?’ And then Zack came in as a partner and it’s cool now that we have the Walkinshaw Andretti United team.

“I’m really excited about that program, the guys at the shop are excited about it, we’ve been doing a lot of things to try and help it because it’s such a cool series and the cars are so cool.

“I went down there to Bathurst, which was to me one of the coolest tracks in the world. I wish I could have driven it, I really do. It looks like a blast.

“It’s amazing how big that series is when you go down there. It’s one of the biggest sports in Australia. It was just a great opportunity for us to extend our portfolio.”

Admittedly, Andretti had some extra incentive to want to get involved in the Supercars world: Penske joined forces with legendary Dick Johnson Racing in September 2014.

The organization came together quickly and the rebranded DJR Team Penske went on to win the 2017 V8 Supercars championship.

“Roger was down there the last few years,” Andretti said, adding that fact as incentive to get his own organization into the series. “So it’s cool to go race head-to-head with Roger. That was also in the back of our minds.”

This is no start-up venture for Andretti. The roots of the new venture began in 1990 as the Holden Racing Team, which went on to become one of the most successful organizations in Australian V8 Supercar racing, having won the drivers’ championship six times and the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship’s top race, the Bathurst 1000 (essentially Australia’s version of the Indy 500), seven times.

Last season, Holden Racing team morphed into Triple Eight Race Engineering and was renamed Mobil 1 HSV Racing.

And now the company has been renamed once again for the 2018 campaign under the Walkinshaw Andretti United banner.

The team will be composed of two Holden ZB Commodores with drivers James Courtney and Scott Pye, as well as a Porsche 911 GT3-R in the Australian GT championship.

What’s next for Andretti’s motorsports portfolio? Right now, it’s pretty full, but you can bet running for championships from Australia (Supercars) to globally (GRC) to Indianapolis (Indy 500) to the U.S. (Verizon IndyCar Series) are at the top of this year’s list.