Will Power overcomes penalty with outstanding rally from final restart to finish second at Texas

1 Comment

Will Power has a message for some of his critics who believe he gets special treatment on the IndyCar Series:

“Anyone who says I don’t get drive-throughs or penalties are crazy, I get them every race,” Power said after Saturday’s Firestone 600 IndyCar race at Texas Motor Speedway.

Had it not been for yet another costly drive-through penalty, Power may very well have rebounded to win.

Instead, he rallied back from sixth-place on the last restart with three laps left to finish second and almost steal the win away from eventual winner Ed Carpenter.

The key for Power, who retained his lead in the Verizon IndyCar Series standings, was a gutsy call by Team Penske president Tim Cindric, who called for four tires to be put on Power’s car on the final pit stop.

“What an awesome call by my team to get tires,” Power said. “I thought I screwed it up for them again, but another drive-through (penalty) – that’s four drive-throughs in five races, that’s not good enough.

“Tim Cindric and Dave (Faustino) my engineer, they always put me in great positions, so I’m just happy to get back to second. It was just an awesome last lap.”

Power blasted off on the restart and eventually caught Team Penske teammate Juan Pablo Montoya heading into the final lap.

All that was left ahead of him was Carpenter, and while Power gave it a valiant try, he couldn’t quite catch the race winner before the drop of the checkered flag.

If the race had gone another lap or two, or if Power had not incurred the penalty, we might be talking about a different winner.

“I don’t know, it’s hard to say,” Power said if there would be a different outcome. “Ed was awful strong. He’s an awesome driver.

“It would have made a good battle there at the end, my car was good at the end, but I’m just real happy to drive the car and come in second. It was just a lot of fun.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

‘No desire’ for Lewis Hamilton to race in Indianapolis 500

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton has ruled out a future appearance in the Indianapolis 500, saying he has “no real plans” to do any serious racing once his time in Formula 1 is over.

Former teammate and current McLaren driver Fernando Alonso took part in the 101st running of the Indy 500 in May, qualifying fifth and running high up the order before retiring late on with an engine issue.

The F1-to-IndyCar crossover proved to be one of the biggest motorsport stories of the year, and has stirred the imagination of other drivers to make a similar step into other events in the future, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans which is known to be on Alonso’s radar as well as that of Haas racer Romain Grosjean.

Three-time F1 world champion Hamilton admired 2017 Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato’s victory ring when on the podium at the Japanese Grand Prix earlier this month, trying it on and joking it may spur him to enter the race to try and win the jewelry.

Speaking ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, Hamilton stressed he made the comment in jest, saying he holds not interest in entering the ‘500.

“Honestly it hasn’t inspired me to do the Indy 500,” Hamilton said.

“I’ve always respected it and appreciated it. I got to watch part of it when Fernando did it which I thought was super exciting. I love the idea of drivers being able to do more than one series.

“Just the other day I got to drive an F1 car on an oval circuit which was interesting. I have a huge amount of respect for those drivers as it is quite scary approaching those banks at the speeds that they do.

“I personally don’t have a desire to drive it. Maybe one day I will go out and have some fun.

“I have a lot of opportunities to do those kinds of things, but no real plans to do anything serious.”

Hamilton has previously said he would like to try a NASCAR race for fun one day, but has made clear his plan after his F1 career is over is to distance himself from racing in order to pursue other interests.