F1 drivers pleased with Canadian GP contract renewal

Leave a comment

A number of F1 drivers and figures are pleased that the Canadian Grand Prix’s contract has been renewed for another ten years, ensuring that the sport will continue to visit Montreal until 2024.

In a press conference yesterday, officials at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve confirmed that a new contract had been drawn up with the F1 Group that will also see the paddock and pit complex renovated in the next few years. The agreement also ensures that there will be at least two races in North American until 2022, when the Circuit of the America’s contract to host the United States Grand Prix expires.

Speaking yesterday in Montreal, a number of the current drivers were pleased to see the extension of the contract.

“It’s great because Montreal is one of the best races in the year for all of us I think,” pole-sitter Nico Rosberg said after qualifying. “It’s a great track, the fans are fantastic, so enthusiastic so I’m very happy and I’m sure everybody is that we’re going to be coming here a lot more often in the future.”

Three-time Canadian Grand Prix winner Lewis Hamilton echoed his teammate’s thoughts, saying: “It’s one of the best races of the year but mostly the fans here are some of the best that we get to see. They really make the atmosphere and the city is incredible. We enjoy coming here so I’m grateful that that’s been done so hopefully we get to race here many more times.”

Montreal embraces Formula 1 with open arms during the grand prix weekend, putting on a number of parties and events in the city centre for the fans. That, combined with the brilliance and the history of the circuit, means that the extension of Canada’s contract will receive unanimous approval from the F1 community.

NHRA: Brittany Force cleared to race this weekend in Phoenix after bad wreck 2 weeks ago

Photo: John Force Racing
Leave a comment

Drag racing is a Force family tradition. So, too, is not keeping a Force family member down.

Just 12 days after the most serious wreck of her six-year drag racing career, Brittany Force and John Force Racing announced late Thursday afternoon that the defending 2017 NHRA Top Fuel champion has been medically cleared and will indeed race in this weekend’s NHRA Arizona Nationals at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in suburban Phoenix, Arizona.

“I flew into Phoenix early this (Thursday) morning and headed straight out to the race track to meet up with my team,” Force said. “I suited up and got belted back into my car that I ran all last season.

“It honestly felt good to be strapped back in and I was surprised how comfortable I was. I’m looking forward to getting back in my car tomorrow (Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying) and getting back in the swing of things with my guys.”

The 31-year-old Force, one of four daughters of 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force, suffered a concussion and bruising after the hard crash she was involved in on February 11 in the first round of eliminations of the season-opening NHRA Lucas Oil Winternationals in Pomona, California.

Shortly after leaving the starting line in a race vs. Terry Haddock, Force’s dragster crossed from the right to left lanes, impacted the retaining wall with a very hard lateral crash, bounced off, spun, went on its side and briefly caught fire after crossing the finish line wheels-up.

While she is still recovering from the bruising, Force feels strong enough to get back behind the wheel. Getting back in the race car could be the best medicine of all, since she has three runner-up finishes in Phoenix, including back-to-back second-place showings in both the 2016 and 2017 national events.

The three-day event kicks off Friday with qualifying rounds at 4 and 6:30 p.m. ET, the same times as Saturday’s qualifying. Final eliminations begin at 1 p.m. ET Sunday.