Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying

F1 drivers pleased with Canadian GP contract renewal

Leave a comment

A number of F1 drivers and figures are pleased that the Canadian Grand Prix’s contract has been renewed for another ten years, ensuring that the sport will continue to visit Montreal until 2024.

In a press conference yesterday, officials at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve confirmed that a new contract had been drawn up with the F1 Group that will also see the paddock and pit complex renovated in the next few years. The agreement also ensures that there will be at least two races in North American until 2022, when the Circuit of the America’s contract to host the United States Grand Prix expires.

Speaking yesterday in Montreal, a number of the current drivers were pleased to see the extension of the contract.

“It’s great because Montreal is one of the best races in the year for all of us I think,” pole-sitter Nico Rosberg said after qualifying. “It’s a great track, the fans are fantastic, so enthusiastic so I’m very happy and I’m sure everybody is that we’re going to be coming here a lot more often in the future.”

Three-time Canadian Grand Prix winner Lewis Hamilton echoed his teammate’s thoughts, saying: “It’s one of the best races of the year but mostly the fans here are some of the best that we get to see. They really make the atmosphere and the city is incredible. We enjoy coming here so I’m grateful that that’s been done so hopefully we get to race here many more times.”

Montreal embraces Formula 1 with open arms during the grand prix weekend, putting on a number of parties and events in the city centre for the fans. That, combined with the brilliance and the history of the circuit, means that the extension of Canada’s contract will receive unanimous approval from the F1 community.

Report: No Mexico, 16 races expected on 2016 IndyCar schedule

indycar logo2
1 Comment

IndyCar chairman Mark Miles doesn’t expect the 2016 Verizon IndyCar season to begin in Mexico in February next year, according to a report by USA Today.

Though Miles said the Mexico race was “unlikely,” he believes the final schedule will 16 races at 15 venues over the course of seven months.

Miles said the series is waiting for a “highly, highly likely” event to be approved by a board around Oct. 13, going on to say it wasn’t Pocono Raceway.

“If we had to, we probably could put this out, in theory, sooner, but we want to go through the formality and respect the process of a formal approval from one of the promoters,” Miles said.

Miles said the Mexico City race has been put on hold due to concerns for proper promotion for the event, which would be the series’ first outside the United States since racing in Brazil in 2013.

“The process they needed to go through to get everything lined up has not really left a lot of time to be confident that everything can be done to properly promote the first race,” Miles told USA Today. “So I think the conversation is very much about ‘17. We just kind of ran out of time for ‘16.”

This is what is know about the 2016 IndyCar schedule so far.

Either the track, IndyCar, or an IndyCar support series (Pirelli World Challenge) have announced these dates for 2016:

March 13: St. Petersburg, Fla.
April 17: Long Beach, Calif.
April 24: Birmingham, Ala.
May 14: Indianapolis, In. (Indy GP)
May 29: Indianapolis, In. (100th Indy 500)
June 4-5: Detroit, Mich.
June 11: Fort Worth, Texas
June 26: Elkhart Lake, Wis.
July 31: Lexington, Ohio
Sept. 4: Boston, Mass.
Sept. 18: Sonoma, Calif.

These dates are not formal but are highly likely for 2016, per media reports:

April 2: Phoenix, AZ
July 17: Toronto, Ontario

These tracks have been rumored, but are yet to announce the status of IndyCar races for 2016:

Iowa Speedway
Pocono Raceway
The Milwaukee Mile
Gateway International Raceway

Williams hopes to improve on 2014 performance in Russian GP

Leave a comment

At this weekend’s Russian GP, Williams Martini Racing is looking for more of the same from Valtteri Bottas and a little improvement from Felipe Massa.

Last year, Bottas started and finished third while Lewis Hamilton ran away with the win, finishing 13 seconds over Nico Rosberg and 17 over Bottas in the inaugural race at the Sochi Autodrom.

Meanwhile, Massa started 18th after a fuel flow issue knocked him out of the first round of qualifying and managed an 11th-place finish.

Bottas and Massa enter the Sochi race fifth and sixth in the driver standings.

“We had a good result last year in Russia so we’re expecting another strong weekend and a good collection of points,” said Bottas in a release. “We all know the track now and it has a really good flow, with the long straights a good fit for our car.”

Bottas has finished in the top five in each of the last three races, two of which were won by Hamilton.

“Pace-wise we were close to Mercedes in Japan and I think we can be close again in Sochi, just like we were in 2014,” Bottas said, who also noted after Japan the team is set to turn its focus to its 2016 car.

Massa, who has two podium finishes this year, will try to bounce back from a DNF at Marina Bay and a 17th-place finish in Japan.

“I hope to make amends for qualifying last year and I’m confident we can have a competitive race,” Massa said in a team release.

“Russia is a very nice track with a few long straights which makes it interesting for overtaking,” Massa said of the 18-turn track. “The circuit has almost everything, starting with a straight and then moving into high-speed corners and then very slow corners in the middle sector. This makes setting up the car really important and the importance of downforce evident.”

The Russian Grand Prix can been seen on NBCSN on Sunday at 7 am ET.