Report: Greg Biffle to remain with Roush Fenway Racing

Leave a comment

Greg Biffle may have just made Carl Edwards’ decision easier whether to stay or leave Roush Fenway Racing, according to a report Sunday morning by NASCAR writer Jim Utter.

NASCAR veteran Greg Biffle and his primary sponsor, 3M, will remain with Roush Fenway Racing, multiple sources have confirmed to the Charlotte Observer and ThatsRacin.com.

An official announcement of contract extensions for Biffle and the sponsor with RFR could come as soon as this coming week, sources said.”

While RFR does not comment on the status of driver or sponsor contracts, if the report proves true, one possible scenario to make an official announcement could come as early as next weekend at Michigan International Speedway.

Roush Industries is headquartered in Livonia, Mich., and Biffle and Edwards have done quite well at MIS in their careers: Biffle has four Cup wins, Edwards two.

Biffle, who turns 45 in December, has been with Roush since 1998. He won the then-Craftsman Truck Series championship in 2000 and the then-Busch Series championship in 2002.

No driver in NASCAR history has ever won championships in all three of its premier national series, although Biffle – who has 19 career Cup victories – came close in 2005, finishing second in the championship chase to Tony Stewart.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will return for his third Cup season with RFR in 2015, and it was recently announced that 2011 Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne will be promoted to a full-time ride in the Cup series for RFR, as well.

A five-car team for several years and then a four-car operation, RFR has fielded just three Cup teams since 2013 after Matt Kenseth left following the 2012 season for Joe Gibbs Racing.

Whether it would go back to four teams if Edwards elects to stay in the RFR fold remains to be seen.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
1 Comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”