After Canada win, Red Bull looks toward home in Austria

Leave a comment

A fruitful Canadian Grand Prix has given momentum to Red Bull as it and the rest of the Formula One paddock prepare to return to Austria for the first time since 2003.

It will be a home race for Red Bull, which has revitalized the old A1 Ring into the new Red Bull Ring. Back in November, the first batch of tickets for the June 22 Grand Prix sold out in 48 hours, assuring that a big crowd will be on hand to welcome F1 back.

And that means high expectations for Montreal winner Daniel Ricciardo and four-time defending World Champion Sebastian Vettel, as well as their boss, team principal Christian Horner.

“To have a race at the Red Bull Ring as Red Bull Racing – with that comes a bit of pressure but it will be fantastic to perform in front of effectively a home crowd,” Horner said to Reuters.

“They sold out within a matter of hours a colossal amount of tickets and I think it is going to be a huge spectacle. For us as a team, it will be trying to get the most out of that weekend as we can.”

Red Bull’s triumph in Canada will surely intensify their ongoing battle with Mercedes. But even though the rivalry between the teams has gotten more fierce as the season’s progressed, Merc’s Toto Wolff was impressed at what Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz has done regarding the revival of the Austrian Grand Prix.

“It is a fantastic place with so much history and heritage and I think what Mateschitz’s done there has just revived the region,” Wolff also said to Reuters.

“I hope on the Sunday night, we are going to spoil the party, but I think he has a bigger picture than just a racing team.”

Still, this particular race has already been at the center of some controversy between the teams.

Last month, the name of Niki Lauda, three-time F1 champion and current Merc non-executive chairman, was removed from one of the Red Bull Ring’s corners.

Then going into last weekend in Montreal, some German media reports surfaced about Red Bull kicking Mercedes personnel out of their hotel for Austria.

According to the UK’s Guardian newspaper, Horner denied those reports and was spotted with a piece of paper that showed Mercedes had actually cancelled their reservations.

Reaction to INDYCAR/NBC Sports Group announcement: Mario Andretti, Roger Penske, Bobby Rahal and social media

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Like countless others on the East Coast, Mario Andretti was fighting through a snowstorm Wednesday morning.

But emotionally and personally, it was a very bright and sunny day for the legendary Indy car driver.

In an exclusive interview with, Andretti spoke in glowing terms about this morning’s announcement of a multi-year media rights partnership between INDYCAR and NBC Sports Group beginning next year.

“I think this is awesome,” Andretti said. “It’s music to my ears and all of us. NBC has been very familiar with IndyCar racing, so they’re a great partner. I’m elated that it’s all nailed down, secured and I’m looking forward to the future.

“It’s also great for the young lads in Indy Lights coming on, and it’s great for all the sponsors to have that kind of exposure. It’s a good day for INDYCAR today.”

Andretti lauded the fact that all elements of INDYCAR coverage – TV, digital and streaming – will now be under one corporate roof, so to speak.

“Personally, I think it’s huge,” Andretti said. “Everybody is going to be very familiar with everything, the storylines are going to flow perfectly from event to event. There’s nothing like continuity.

“It’s okay sometimes if you have two networks, but to me, the best possible solution is this. That’s why I think this is really a great day for INDYCAR racing to have NBC involved and the continuity is huge for us.”

MORE: NBC Sports Group, INDYCAR partner on new TV and digital rights agreement starting in 2019

MORE: Optimism abounds with new INDYCAR media partnership


Several other high-profile individuals within the IndyCar community also gave their take on Wednesday’s announcement, including statements from team owners Roger Penske and Bobby Rahal.

Roger Penske: “As an industry, we are very fortunate to have the NBC Sports Group grow their presence and coverage of INDYCAR racing and really invest in the future of the sport. We believe there is a great deal of positive momentum in the Verizon IndyCar Series right now, from the development of the new race car, to the very talented group of young drivers and new teams coming into the sport this season.

“With the announcement of the enhanced broadcast partnership with NBC, it certainly adds to the excitement for the future. We know that the ways our fans are watching races and viewing INDYCAR content is rapidly changing, so staying ahead of the curve and the developing technology with our partners is important to the growth of our sport. We look forward to working with the NBC team to continue to build INDYCAR and take the sport in new directions.

“We also need to thank ABC and ESPN for all their terrific coverage over the years. The ABC network helped bring some of the most memorable moments in racing to life – including many of our team’s Indianapolis 500 victories – and we appreciate all of their hard work and passion for INDYCAR racing.”

Bobby Rahal: “It’s great news. I think the fact that the IndyCar Series will be under one roof, so to speak, network-wise can do nothing but great things for our sport. To increase to having eight races on network TV is also great news of course.

“The quality of the NBC broadcasts have gotten better and better over the last several years. They do a great job of providing interesting and entertaining content for the viewers and I think that will only continue to grow with the relationship going forward. That type of storytelling is also what helps bring new fans to the sport.”



Follow @JerryBonkowski