New owner has big plans to revive Nashville Superspeedway, may bring back NASCAR and IndyCar

2 Comments

Racing fans in and around Music City may soon be singing a happier tune if Robb Sexton has his way.

Sexton is the new owner of Nashville Superspeedway, having recently purchased it for $45 million from Dover Motorsports Inc. (owner of Dover International Speedway).

Sexton has lots of plans for the Gladeville, Tennessee (a suburb of Nashville) facility that saw racing suspended there three years ago and no longer hosts any NASCAR events, yet is still very popular as a test track for NASCAR teams.

And potentially bringing back NASCAR’s Camping World Truck Series, the Nationwide Series and even the Verizon IndyCar Series is on Sexton’s long-range wish list.

“Never say never,” Sexton, 60, told LebanonDemocrat.com’s Larry Woody when asked if he would try to bring back NASCAR and IndyCar.

“It’s a great facility and we’re going to put it to use,” Sexton added. In addition to giving a rebirth to racing there, NSS may also become an entertainment venue for potential things as concerts (a natural for Music City) and other events.

NASCAR ran both Trucks and Nationwide cars at the 11-year-old NSS for nearly a decade, while the IndyCar Series called the 1.3-mile track home for eight seasons before it also departed.

Founder and CEO of technology company NeXovation Inc., Sexton told Woody that he may even break out blueprints that were drawn up several years ago to add a drag strip, short track and dirt track to the complex.

“We plan to develop the entire facility,” Sexton said. “We have a comprehensive business plan that involves using the track 52 weeks a year, with a primary emphasis on the motorsports community. Our focus is on a motorsports identity.

“This is not just a lark, thinking that maybe we can make it work,” he said. “For two years we have taken a hard look at it, formed a business model, and concluded that it is do-able.”

Sexton isn’t stopping at just buying NSS. He also wants to purchase Germany’s famed Nurburgring facility.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Audi bids farewell to Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich upon retirement

Audi Sport
Leave a comment

Audi bid farewell to its iconic head of motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, at its end-of-season ‘Race Night’ event in Germany on Friday upon his retirement.

Ullrich took over the reins as Audi’s head of motorsport in 1993 and stayed in the role for 23 years, overseeing its arrival in the prototype class of sports car racing and domination of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Ullrich stepped down from the position at the end of 2016, handing the reins over to ex-Audi DTM chief Dieter Gass, and attended his final racing event with the German marque at its first works Formula E outing in Hong Kong earlier this month.

Ullrich was honored at the Race Night event on Friday and thanked for his efforts in developing Audi into a force within global motorsport.

“In 566 factory-backed commitments during this period he celebrated 209 victories, 13 of them in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, eleven in the 12-hour race at Sebring and nine in the ‘Petit Le Mans’ at Road Atlanta,” a piece on Ullrich’s tenure for Audi’s website reads.

“31 driver titles in super touring car racing, in the DTM and in the sports prototype category are credited to him. 57 campaigners were Audi factory drivers during Wolfgang Ullrich’s era and he was responsible for 18 new developments of racing cars – an impressive tally.”