NASCAR: Multiple drivers test at Indy; Stewart OK after crash

Leave a comment

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will be going road racing this weekend, but for the last two days, several drivers have been at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to take part in a Goodyear tire test.

The series will visit IMS on July 27 for the Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 at the Brickyard – or, more colloquially, the Brickyard 400.

According to the Indianapolis Star, conditions for today’s activities were warm and humid – perhaps a solid indicator of what the drivers will be expecting next month.

Among those taking part was Indiana native and Richard Childress Racing driver Ryan Newman, who won last year’s Brickyard for Stewart-Haas Racing.

Obviously, Newman is hoping for more success at IMS with RCR.

“We were blessed last year to have a good qualifying effort,” Newman told the Star about last year’s win. “We had good track position and kept it all race long. I think we never fell back past seventh.

“I knew what my race car felt like. That’s what I have to work on this year, to make my race car feel like [that]. We’ve had a good test so far. I feel like our speed is pretty good. The temperature changes so much it’s hard to keep up with sometimes.”

Also running laps at Indy are Newman’s former boss, Tony Stewart, Greg Biffle, Joey Logano, Kyle Busch, and Clint Bowyer.

Today did not go without incident, however. An Instagram photo taken by Stewart Haas Racing engineer Chris Chidgey revealed that Stewart went into the Turn 1 wall after blowing a right-front tire.

Luckily, Chidgey relays word that Stewart is okay after the wreck.

source:

NASCAR.com has since reported that Stewart’s crash took place during a part of the session that was closed to media and that “transportation by paramedics was not necessary.” However, “Smoke” did talk with NASCAR medical personnel.

Rebellion confirms LMP1 return, all-star line-up for WEC super season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rebellion Racing has confirmed it will return to the LMP1 class of the FIA World Endurance Championship for the 2018/19 ‘super season’ with an all-star line-up featuring Le Mans winners Neel Jani and Andre Lotterer.

Rebellion raced in LMP1 as a privateer between 2009 and 2016 before stepping down to LMP2 for the most recent season, capturing the class titles at the first attempt.

Following a push from the WEC and Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) to make LMP1 more appealing to privateer teams, Rebellion announced on Wednesday it would return to the premier class for the 2018/19 season with a two-car effort.

WEC LMP2 champion Bruno Senna will return with Rebellion next year, as will Mathias Beche, with the pair set to be joined by four new faces.

The most notable arrivals are Porsche factory drivers Lotterer and Jani, both of whom were left without an LMP1 drive following the closure of the German manufacturer’s program at the end of the season.

American racer Gustavo Menezes will also join Rebellion, stepping up after two years in LMP2, while outstanding 2017 rookie Thomas Laurent completes the Swiss team’s line-up.

“I am looking forward to coming back where my endurance career started nine years ago,” said Jani.

“Rebellion Racing played a huge role in my career and also helped me become a factory driver for Porsche. When Porsche stopped in LMP1, it was clear for me that I wanted to race again for Rebellion.

“With the new regulations, I hope we can reach the overall podium at Le Mans and with a bit of luck, maybe we can even grab some wins during the super season of WEC.”

“I am very happy to join the champion Rebellion team,” added three-time Le Mans winner Lotterer.

“The LMP1 project is very exciting and to be able to go on with the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the FIA WEC challenge is something I did not want to miss.

“I am motivated and looking forward to have a great time with great people there.”