Brad Daugherty has had quite a varied career. He was a star player in the NBA, had an interest in an auto dealership, has done some sportsman stock car racing, is co-owner of a NASCAR Sprint Cup team and is in his final season as an analyst on ESPN NASCAR telecasts.
Daugherty will soon add yet another career path to his resume, that of restaurateur.
According to a report by the Asheville (N.C.) Citizen-Times, a new “casual-upscale” restaurant will debut July 16 in Asheville known as Daugherty’s American Kitchen & Drink.
The current occupant of the space Daugherty’s new eatery will be in, Frankie Bones, closed today (Saturday). After some remodeling, the restaurant will reopen in just over three weeks from now.
Daugherty is a native of nearby Black Mountain and still lives in the area.
Alan Wolf, who served as managing partner of Frankie Bones, will retain the same position for Daugherty’s new business venture.
According to the Citizen-Times, the restaurant will specialize in seafood and vegetable dishes and reduce the previous meat-heavy menu of Frankie Bones’.
“I think with Frankie Bones, it was always designed for a different demographic, and not the Asheville culinary scene that’s emerged in the seven years that we’ve been here,” Wolf told the Citizen-Times. “It’s not cutting edge as this marketplace desires, and that’s why we’re going to take a fresher run at this.”
Daugherty was not available for comment on his newest business venture.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.
Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.
Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.
“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.
“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.
“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”
Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.
“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.
“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”
Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”