F1 Grand Prix of Austria

Hamilton charges from ninth to second, but loses more ground to Rosberg

Leave a comment

Ordinarily, making up seven places across the course of a grand prix and finishing in second place after a difficult qualifying session would be considered a success.

However, for Lewis Hamilton in Austria, this result only saw him lose more ground to teammate Nico Rosberg in the drivers’ championship after the German driver claimed his third victory of the season today.

Hamilton started the race from ninth after failing to set a time during the final part of qualifying yesterday. The Briton made a rocket start, and was up to fourth on the second lap. He then fought past the Williams pair of Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa to move up to second place, but just could not find a way past Rosberg in the final stages of the grand prix.

In fact, had both of his pit stops been marginally quicker, Hamilton may have been able to get the jump on his teammate, and he will look at the data to see if there is any room for improvement.

“I don’t know, I’ll have to have a look at the feedback and just see what the team say about the stops,” Hamilton said on the podium after the race. “Maybe my position is not right, but obviously in those situations you’re just pushing.”

He quickly switched focus to yet another fantastic team performance by Mercedes, praising his colleagues for masterminding their sixth one-two finish in the last seven races.

“The guys have done a fantastic job,” Hamilton said. “As Nico said, to get another one-two here is just incredible. This track has been fantastic and the fans have been insane this weekend, so thank you all for the support.”

On Red Bull’s home turf, Mercedes was simply unstoppable. However, in the post-race press conference, Hamilton did look slightly subdued, and will undoubtedly be wondering what happened to the championship lead that he enjoyed just three races ago.

Unquestionably, it was a fine performance from the 2008 world champion, but by his own high standards, not winning the race will have come as a bitter blow.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski