IndyCar: There’s been a lot of changes since Houston just last October

Leave a comment

Last year, the Verizon IndyCar Series returned to the streets of Houston for the first time in six years. And already since October, there’s been a lot of changes for the series just in the last eight months:

  • This race marked the end of Dario Franchitti’s career, after his accident.
  • Circuit changes in the name of safety are coming to the track, per a report.
  • The race shifts from October, where it was hot and humid through Saturday, then rainy Sunday morning last year before heating up again, to June, where highs are projected in the high 80s to low 90s with 30-40% chances of rain.
  • The IndyCar series name has changed to the Verizon IndyCar Series; the track name has changed from Reliant Park to NRG Park, as part of the M.D Anderson Cancer Center Speedway at NRG Park.
  • This weekend marked Scott Dixon’s most recent victory (Houston Race 1).
  • This weekend marked Justin Wilson and James Hinchcliffe’s most recent podium finishes, and Simona de Silvestro’s only career podium before she left to pursue her Formula One dream.
  • This weekend marked Josef Newgarden’s most recent top-five finish (fifth in Race 1)
  • This race weekend marked Luca Filippi’s most recent starts in the series, and will be his first starts of 2014.

It will be interesting to see if any of those driver stats and the like change coming out of this upcoming doubleheader weekend.

The Houston weekend last year was a tough one to get through for the series, and though improvements are promised for year two of this iteration, Houston still has a lot to prove as an event weekend.

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski