(Photo: Brian Lawdermilk/Getty Images)

Dave Blaney-driven No. 77 Ford to take break from Sprint Cup for ‘retooling,’ hopes to return by Indy

Leave a comment

The first-year Ford-powered Sprint Cup team owned by Randy Humphrey will be doing some “retooling” and taking a temporary break from the series, according to a report Wednesday by NASCAR.com.

Saturday night’s race at Kentucky will be the second event the fledgling team has missed, also skipping this past Sunday’s race at Sonoma.

However, Humphrey was adamant in a phone interview with NASCAR.com that he is not shutting down his team.

“We’re retooling things,” Humphrey told NASCAR.com. “We’re just trying to find the right people. … We have not shut down.”

Veteran driver Dave Blaney has been behind the wheel of the Roush-Yates powered No. 77 Ford for the entire season, with veteran Peter Sospenzo as the team’s crew chief.

Humphrey also told NASCAR.com that he’s not scaling back due to funding, but rather because the team simply hasn’t been as competitive as he hoped in its first year of operation.

When will the team return to the racetrack?

Most likely the Crown Royal Presents the John Walding 400 at The Brickyard at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on July 27.

“You will not see us at Daytona (next weekend), but I do suspect you will be seeing us at Indy (going) forward, hopefully,” Humphrey said. “That’s our plan.

“We have some meetings that are going on, and we’re just interviewing some people. We had to retool some people and that kind of thing to get ourselves in order here.”

Of the season’s first 15 races (not including this past Sunday’s event at Sonoma), the team has qualified for just four races, finishing 41st at Texas, 43rd at Darlington, 33rd and Dover and 43rd at Pocono.

As a result, the team’s average start has been 39th and its average finish 40th.

In addition, it has failed to qualify at Phoenix, Las Vegas, Bristol, Fontana, Martinsville, Richmond, Talladega, Kansas and Charlotte.

It has also withdrawn from the season-opening Daytona 500 and its last appearance, two weeks ago at Michigan.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar 2015 Driver Review: Carlos Munoz

Carlos Munoz
Leave a comment

MotorSportsTalk continues its run through the driver-by-driver roster in this year’s Verizon IndyCar Series. Next up in 13th is Carlos Munoz, who fell back to earth a bit after winning Indianapolis 500, then series rookie-of-the-year honors in consecutive years.

Carlos Munoz, No. 26 Andretti Autosport Honda

  • 2014: 8th Place, Best Finish 3rd, Best Start 3rd, 3 Podiums, 5 Top-5, 8 Top-10, 0 Laps Led, 10.5 Avg. Start, 12.6 Avg. Finish
  • 2015: 13th Place, 1 Win, Best Start 4th, 1 Podium, 3 Top-5, 7 Top-10, 25 Laps Led, 14.0 Avg. Start, 12.1 Avg. Finish

Munoz fell down to earth a little bit in his second full season in IndyCar, albeit not as badly as fellow 2014 rookie Jack Hawksworth, who’d switched teams and had a myriad of issues throughout the season. He won his first race in the rain at Detroit race one, which was well judged, but there were precious other highlights from the driver who has showcased “wow” potential in the past.

His qualifying fell off year-to-year and that was probably the single thing to pinpoint as to why the decline occurred, falling from eighth to 13th in points. What had been a 10.5 average in 2014 fell to 14th this year, and behind teammates Marco Andretti and Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Ovals seemed his strongest type of circuit this year on the whole. Like teammate Justin Wilson, he’d been in position to score what would have been his third straight Indianapolis 500 top-five finish if a late splash of fuel wasn’t needed. Sixth at Texas from fourth on the grid marked his best overall weekend of the year, and fifth at Iowa and Pocono were also fairly good results.

But whereas Munoz picked his spots well last year and delivered a handful of podiums, his Detroit win marked his only podium visit this year. He didn’t really make much of an impression and was more anonymous than not over the course of the year. His future with Andretti is uncertain for 2016.

Williams maximizes wet setup work despite limited running in Sochi

Getty Images
Leave a comment

With action pretty much limited in both practice sessions due to the diesel spillage in free practice one and rain in free practice two for the Russian Grand Prix in Sochi, teams could only do limited wet-weather runs.

Williams Martini Racing tried to make the best of the circumstances, as one of only five teams that completed laps in FP2 (McLaren, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Ferrari) with eight cars.

Felipe Massa led second practice but it was an essentially meaningless session.

“It was quite a stunted session today which stopped us from completing all of the work we wanted to,” said Rob Smedley, Williams’ head of vehicle performance. “We had planned to run in the wet but we had a strange situation this afternoon in that half of the circuit was much wetter than the other half which made most of the tests null and void.

“We have been working on the wet set-up of the car and so wanted to get out at the end of FP2 to see the progress we have made. In a similar vein to our low speed corner work in Singapore, we seem to be making progress. We got through all of the bits and pieces we wanted to get through in terms of control systems and power unit set-up, and we have to go into tomorrow with a good plan for FP3 to get the car set-up for qualifying and the race.”

Valtteri Bottas finished third in Sochi a year ago, while Massa seeks a rebound after a fuel flow issue in qualifying resigned him to a Q1 elimination and an 11th place finish.