Kyle Busch returns after two races off, earns pole for tonight’s Trucks race at Kentucky, seeks 5th win of 2014

Leave a comment

After a couple of races off, Kyle Busch is back racing in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series in Thursday’s UNOH 225 at Kentucky Speedway.

And not surprisingly, Busch, who has won four of the first seven NCWTS races this season, is ready to go out and win his fifth after earning the pole position during Thursday afternoon’s qualifying session.

Busch’s best lap around the 1.5-mile tri-oval at was 175.884 mph (30.702 seconds).

Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr., who won the last NCWTS race two weeks ago at Gateway Motorsports Park in suburban St. Louis, qualified on the outside of the front row (175.615 mph).

That puts two Kyle Busch Motorsports trucks side-by-side at the front of the field for tonight’s race, the first time that has happened in team history.

“I can’t say enough about the KBM guys, another nice job this weekend,” Busch said on Fox Sports 1. “I’m also proud to see Bubba right there with us, as well, too. Hopefully, we can finish it the way we started like we should have been last week (Erik Jones drove for Busch in the No. 51 truck at Gateway, but was involved in a late wreck while leading the race, preventing a 1-2 finish with Wallace).”

Jeb Burton qualified third (175.194 mph), followed by Ben Kennedy (175.046), points leader Johnny Sauter (174.978) and German Quiroga Jr. (174.893), who was fastest in both practices earlier in the day.

“It’s good. When we start there, it’s fine,” Quiroga said. “We know we have a very good truck, have been very fast all day long and am pretty confident we can make a very good start, run in the top three all night and hopefully finish winning the race. I’m hoping to get my first win here.”

Quiroga said after finishing second to Wallace at Gateway that he felt his first career NCWTS win may be right around the corner. If he can get by Busch tonight, no easy feat obviously, that’s a distinct possibility.

Quiroga’s Red Horse Racing teammate, Timothy Peters, qualified seventh (174.814), followed by Ron Hornaday Jr. (174.160), Joey Coulter (173.667), Ryan Blaney (172.966), Matt Crafton (171.892) and Tayler Malsam (174.379).

Also of note, Busch, Keselowski and Joe Nemechek are entered in all three races this weekend at Kentucky — the Truck Series, Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup events.

Busch is also hoping to win all three for only the second time in NASCAR history, having become the first and only driver to date to do so back in August 2010 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

Here’s how the field for tonight’s UNOH 225 will take the green flag:

Row 1: Kyle Busch, Darrell Wallace Jr.

Row 2: Jeb Burton, Ben Kennedy

Row 3: Johnny Sauter, German Quiroga Jr.

Row 4: Timothy Peters, Ron Hornaday Jr.

Row 5: Joey Coulter, Ryan Blaney

Row 6: Matt Crafton, Tayler Malsam

Row 7: Max Gresham, Brad Keselowski

Row 8: Corey Lajoie, Bryan Silas

Row 9: John Wes Townley, Joe Nemechek

Row 10: Chase Pistone, Mason Mingus

Row 11: Caleb Holman, Tyler Young

Row 12: Austin Dillon, JJ Yeley

Row 13: T.J. Bell, Jimmy Weller

Row 14: Jennifer Jo Cobb, Justin Jennings

Row 15: Charles Lewandoski, Norm Benning

Row 16: Adam Edwards, Ryan Ellis

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Takuma Sato captures 101st Indianapolis 500

Photo: IndyCar
2 Comments

INDIANAPOLIS – Similar to last year, an Andretti Autosport driver that wasn’t the most discussed or fastest has won the Indianapolis 500.

But after his best month yet at Indianapolis, bravery and tenacity has won Takuma Sato the 2017 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil.

And for Helio Castroneves, finishing second leaves him again, one spot short of his elusive fourth victory.

Rookie Ed Jones was third ahead of Max Chilton, with Tony Kanaan completing the top five.

Meanwhile Fernando Alonso had an engine issue that took him out from a star drive, and Scott Dixon survived a crazy accident early on despite going airborne.

This was a crazy race because it had 11 yellow flag periods, plus a red flag, and 15 different leaders, a record.

Unofficial results are below. More to follow.

Big wreck late in Indy 500 takes out Power, Hinchcliffe, two others

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A major wreck with 17 laps left in the Indianapolis 500 has occurred, involving five cars.

Oriol Servia, James Hinchcliffe, James Davison, Will Power and Josef Newgarden were involved in the incident, as they exited Turn 1 into the short chute to Turn 2.

All but Newgarden saw their day come to an end in the wreck. Newgarden wasn’t directly involved in the wreck, but spun avoiding the other cars, tapped the inside retaining wall, and spun back onto the racetrack.

Max Chilton is leading the race, with Takuma Sato second, followed by Ed Jones, Helio Castroneves and JR Hildebrand.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

 

Alonso’s Indy 500 dream ends in all-too-familar Honda engine failure

INDYCAR
Leave a comment

From a story that started six weeks ago when he shocked the racing world by announcing his entry to the 101st Indianapolis 500, Fernando Alonso’s dream of winning the Greatest Spectacle in Racing came to an all-too-familiar end when he was sidelined by an engine failure late on.

Two-time Formula 1 champion Alonso had been a force at the front of the pack throughout the first half of the race and even looked capable of taking a famous victory at the Brickyard, only for his engine to give up on the main straight and his hopes to go up in smoke.

Given his Indy 500 entry was put into motion as a way to ease his gripes with McLaren’s F1 struggles with ailing engine partner Honda, for it to end in such fashion weighs heavy with irony and, for Alonso, disappointment.

Thrown into a rolling IndyCar race start for the first, Alonso made a slow getaway on the opening lap to lose four positions and sit ninth, only to then pick his way back through the order with some fine overtakes on the likes of Will Power and JR Hildebrand.

A swift first pit stop of 8.2 seconds from the McLaren-Honda-Andretti crew lifted Alonso to third after the opening cycle, with the Spaniard then putting down the hammer to take the lead of the race from Alexander Rossi on Lap 37.

Alonso and Rossi spent the next 15 laps drafting, swapping the lead back and forth in a bid to save fuel, with the McLaren man sitting as race leader when the red flag was thrown for the crash between Scott Dixon and Jay Howard on Lap 52.

Alonso shuffled back to fourth before the next caution was shown following Conor Daly’s crash, and the Spaniard continued to sit in the top five despite being frustrated by former F1 colleague Max Chilton’s bold defense at one point.

Running second behind Andretti teammates Ryan Hunter-Reay and Rossi, Alonso was able to battle his way back through to the lead on the restart with 70 laps to go following Buddy Lazier’s shunt.

Honda’s engine concerns were justified when smoke began to seep from the rear of Hunter-Reay’s car, sparking another caution on Lap 138. While it did rule out one of Alonso’s win rivals, it was one less bullet in the gun for Andretti at the front.

Alonso made his penultimate stop under the caution, dropping him to ninth behind the drivers that opted to stay out. Just a single lap followed when Ed Carpenter’s front wing broke, leaving debris on track, but there was enough time for Alonso to fall back to 12th ahead of the sixth caution.

The loss of position also cost Alonso his net advantage over the field. Now on the same strategy as Helio Castroneves, Tony Kanaan and Oriol Servia – all of whom ran ahead – Alonso had ground to make up heading towards the final round of pit stops.

Alonso’s final visit to pit road was sparked by another caution called for a Honda engine failure, this time leaving Charlie Kimball on the sidelines. The majority of the pack came in, leaving the field with a straight sprint to the flag. Sat ninth for the restart, Alonso had to mount a charge with 30 laps to go on the restart.

Having passed James Davison early on the restart, Alonso picked up another spot with a brave move around the outside of Kanaan with 24 laps to go, giving him P7.

As Alonso continued to push, he became the third Honda driver to suffer an engine failure as he came towards the start/finish with around 20 laps remaining, his car grinding to a halt.

First Honda engine issue strikes Hunter-Reay on Lap 137

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

INDIANAPOLIS – Reliability was expected to be a major story line in the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil but it has taken until Lap 137 before the first Honda engine issue has hit, which came from pre-race concerns in that camp.

Ryan Hunter-Reay, who led seven times for 28 laps in the No. 28 DHL Honda for Andretti Autosport, had his engine drop out on the backstraight as he went onto the apron into Turn 3.

It is the second straight year the 2014 winner has been sidelined short of a possible second win.

Hunter-Reay has diced with teammates Fernando Alonso and Alexander Rossi this race. At the time of his motor dropping out, he was running second to Alonso.

There were eight Honda engine failures this month prior to today, between the INDYCAR Grand Prix race, and Indianapolis 500 practice and qualifying.