Simon Pagenaud’s evolution into a Verizon IndyCar Series championship contender has attracted the attention of one of the series’ big teams.
Andretti Autosport owner Michael Andretti has told The Associated Press that he’s interested in acquiring the Frenchman’s services for next season, although he did not disclose if that means his team would add a fifth car.
Andretti also stressed that “we’re a long ways away from something” in his comments.
“He’s one of the top guys out here, and he’s a really good guy, too,” Andretti said of Pagenaud, who is in his third season of racing for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. “He’d fit in great with our team.”
For his part, Pagenaud played it cool when he talked about Andretti’s interest in him. He told the AP that such interest lets him know that he’s doing a good job.
“You have job security when you are in that position because you know there’s interest in you,” Pagenaud said. “People have noticed the job you are doing.”
As for his prospects to either join Andretti or stay with Schmidt, Pagenaud only said: “We’ll see what happens next.”
Since coming to IndyCar full-time in 2012, Pagenaud has made steady progress to become of the series’ top drivers.
After finishing an impressive fifth in the ’12 overall championship, he improved on that last year with a third-place finish on the strength of wins at Detroit and Baltimore.
Going into this weekend’s Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston doubleheader, Pagenaud sits fourth in the standings at 91 points behind championship leader Will Power. He won the inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis last month on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.
MILAN (AP) Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is confident the Italian Grand Prix in Monza can find the needed cash to stay on the calendar.
Ecclestone tells the Gazzetta dello Sport, “We will find the right solution – I no longer have doubts – to provide a future for the Italian GP.”
No circuit has hosted more F1 racing than Monza, but officials at the track outside Milan have had trouble producing the estimated 25 million euros ($26.6 million) per year that Ecclestone seeks to keep the race in place after the current contract expires next year.
Ecclstone says, “Things have been cleared up and there is only one go between, (Angelo) Sticchi Damiani, the president of the Italian Automobile Club.”
The Italian GP next year is scheduled for Sept. 4.
Plans to introduce a new alternative, cheaper engine into Formula 1 for 2017 – hypothetically a 2.2-liter V6 similar to what is seen in IndyCar – will at least temporarily go on the backburner.
The F1 Commission has rejected the so called “alternative engine solution,” where several companies submitted proposals to be that alternative supplier.
“The F1 Commission voted not to pursue this option at this stage — however, it may be reassessed after the Power Unit manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group,” the FIA said on Wednesday.
“The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One,” the statement added.
Meanwhile the statement outlined four things the current manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda – would be tasked with improving on the current 1.6-liter formula:
- a guarantee of supply to teams
- the need to reduce the engines’ cost
- simplification of the specification
- “improved noise”
Further meetings between the manufacturers and the governing body are scheduled, including one this weekend at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix season finale.
As F1 heads into the final weekend of the season, political/paddock items such as Red Bull and Toro Rosso’s respective power unit futures, whether Renault’s takeover of Lotus will finally become official and what will happen with Manor’s team leadership stake – this marks Graeme Lowdon and John Booth’s final weekends although ex-McLaren man Dave Ryan has been hired as the team’s new racing director – are among the talking points.
You couldn’t make this stuff up.
Dominant GP2 Series champion Stoffel Vandoorne had his first go in a Super Formula car at Suzuka on Wednesday, but the engine woes that have hampered his Formula 1 team’s efforts (McLaren) all season appear to be equal opportunity woes.
Vandoorne only completed a limited day of running due to technical issues; naturally, and in an unfortunate coincidence, the Super Formula cars also have Honda power.
The Belgian is now en route from Japan to Abu Dhabi, where this weekend’s final round of the GP2 season will be held alongside the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Wandsworth Council’s Community Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee voted seven to four late Tuesday night, in favor of retaining the FIA Formula E event in Battersea Park.
This will see the London ePrix – the season finale for the electric open-wheel championship – continue at the site for at least the next two seasons.
The 2016 race will run July 2-3, to avoid a direct head-to-head clash with the British Grand Prix a week later in Silverstone.
Battersea Park’s race faced local opposition in recent weeks, which put the race under threat.