Joe Gibbs Racing extends Matt Kenseth’s contract, Dollar General sponsorship

2 Comments

Even though Carl Edwards may still be heading to Joe Gibbs Racing, Matt Kenseth won’t be going anywhere for a long time.

JGR officials announced Saturday at Kentucky Speedway that they have extended Kenseth’s contract (no specifics were given, but it’s likely through at least 2016 or 2017).

In addition, Dollar General will increase the number of races it serves as the primary sponsor on Kenseth’s No. 20 Toyota Camry in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series from 27 races in 2014 to 30 races in 2015, and the potential of additional races beyond.

That is significant given that Home Depot announced earlier this week that it will be ending its sponsorship of the No. 20 at season’s end after more than a decade.

Dollar General, whose corporate headquarters are just north of Nashville in Goodlettsville, Tennessee, first began sponsoring Kenseth with 17 races in 2013, and then increased that number to 27 for this season.

“I’m incredibly fortunate to drive for Dollar General,” Kenseth said in a JGR media release. “They have great enthusiasm for our sport, and as a driver, it’s great to have such a supportive sponsor behind you.

“When you meet the people behind the organization, it is easy to see why they have had so much success in recent years. I’m looking forward to continuing our partnership together for many years to come.”

Kenseth is ranked fourth in the Sprint Cup standings heading into Saturday night’s Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway.

After joining JGR for the 2013 season following more than a decade with Roush Fenway Racing, Kenseth went on to win a series- and career-high seven races.

This season, however, Kenseth has yet to reach victory lane. But he’s shown significant consistency nonetheless with five top-5 and 10 top-10 finishes in the first 16 races of the 36-race Sprint Cup schedule.

“Extending my deal with JGR is exciting and I’m still hoping we can match our win total from last year, but it’s really been a special year-and-a-half together,” Kenseth said. “Joe and J.D. (Gibbs) have been fantastic and show a commitment to providing all of us with the resources needed for a winning organization and I’ve been blessed with a great team led by Jason (crew chief Jason Ratcliff).

“The support we get from TRD has been tremendous and I’m excited for the future here with the No. 20 Dollar General team.”

Added team owner Joe Gibbs, “This is a big day for everyone at Joe Gibbs Racing. Matt has obviously had a big impact across our entire organization and our partnership with Dollar General has been fantastic. It’s exciting to be able to announce both extensions that will keep this team together for years to come.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

BREAKING: John Force taken to hospital after Phoenix eliminations crash

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force has been taken to a local hospital for evaluation and examination following a wicked crash with fellow Funny Car driver Johnnie Lindberg.

The crash occurred during the quarterfinals of Sunday’s final eliminations in the NHRA Arizona Nationals at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in suburban Phoenix.

Force was headed for a win when the engine on his Peak Chevrolet Camaro blew up just as it crossed the finish line, destroying the body. Lindberg, meanwhile, lost traction about one-third of the way down-track, but then got back into the gas to try and catch Force.

Force appeared to lose control of the body-less car and went across from the left lane he was in to the right-hand lane, where he hit the retaining wall in front of Lindberg.

Lindberg tried to avoid Force, but couldn’t. To make matters worse, the body on Lindberg’s car then came off and Force’s and Lindberg’s cars got tangled up in Lindberg’s parachute, sending both chassis’ into the left retaining wall.

Lindberg emerged from his Funny Car under his own power and was checked at the medical center before heading back to his pit.

Force, meanwhile, was helped out of his mangled wreck by the NHRA Safety Safari and was transported by ambulance to the hospital due to the severity of the impact.

Even though Force will be credited with the round win, he obviously will not be able to continue for the remainder of the eliminations.

To add insult to injury, NHRA officials charged Force with oiling down the racetrack, his third of the season in just the first two races. That will cost him 15 points in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series standings and a fine of $4,000.

Here are several posts from social media, including video of the incident from NHRA:

This is the second time Force has had an engine explode and the body blew off in the last two weeks. He also wrecked during the qualifying Feb. 9 for the season-opening Lucas Oil NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, California. Here’s the video of that wreck:

MORE: John Force taken to hospital as a precaution after Funny Car motor explodes.

We’ll update Force’s condition when it becomes available.

Follow @JerryBonkowski