(Photo: Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

Pole-sitter Brad Keselowski dominates, but Joey Logano is race leader halfway at Kentucky

Leave a comment

Joey Logano beat Team Penske teammate and race pole-sitter Brad Keselowski off pit road during a caution for debris on Lap 127 and is still at the front of the field at the halfway point of Saturday’s 267-lap Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway.

It was the second time Logano had beaten his teammate off pit road to assume the lead in the race. But there’s no overlooking the fact that Keselowski dominated most of the first half of the race, leading all but 13 of the first 133 laps.

Keselowski is in pursuit of his second win in the four Sprint Cup races held to date at Kentucky, having won in 2012.

Behind race leader Logano were Keselowski in second, Ryan Newman in third, Kyle Busch in fourth and Kevin Harvick fifth.

Sixth through 10th were Dale Earnhardt Jr., Aric Almirola, Austin Dillon, Kasey Kahne and AJ Allmendinger.

Keselowski had held on to the lead from the start, pacing the field for the first 79 laps.

Kyle Busch, who hoped to earn his second win of the weekend (he won Thursday’s Camping World Truck Series race), started 18th but worked his way into the top 10 fairly quickly.

By Lap 50, Roush Fenway Racing teammates Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle were running 26th and 27th, making no progress from their original qualifying spots of 23rd and 24th, respectively.

The first caution of the race came on Lap 29 when Denny Hamlin suffered a blown tire that threw his Toyota into the Turn 4 wall and caused extensive damage to his Camry.

As a result, NASCAR chose to make that slowdown in the action to serve as a scheduled competition caution that was due to come on Lap 30 because of rain that had been forecast for the area (but did not come).

“I didn’t expect that at all,” Hamlin told TNT. I just heard it pop. It was very reminiscent of last year. … I wish we could have seen how far we could have went into the night.”

On Lap 77, rookie Kyle Larson suffered a similar fate to Hamlin, bringing out the caution when his car appeared to lose a tire and wrecked coming out of Turn 1, also sustaining significant damage.

“I blew a right front,” Larson said. “We were hoping for a big points day before we go to Daytona, where it’s a real crap shoot.

“Oh well, we’ll go to Daytona and try to rebound and gain some more points. … I guess I just used up my tires too much.”

On the resulting pit stop, as he has several times already this season, Kevin Harvick – who won Friday’s Nationwide Series race – once again was victimized by costly mistakes by his pit crew. He came onto pit road in second position, but a dropped lug nut extended Harvick’s stay in the pits and he exited 16th.

Also under that same caution, Keselowski lost the lead for the first time of the evening when Penske Racing teammate Joey Logano beat Keselowski out off pit road.

Logano led five laps under caution but Keselowski regained the lead spot for nearly a lap before Logano took back the advantage. Keselowski then bounced back on Lap 88 and once again began the same kind of domination he showed in the first 79 laps around the 1.5-mile tri-oval.

The third caution of the night occurred on Lap 127 for debris. Logano once again emerged in the lead, while Keselowski left pit road having dropped from the race lead to fourth.

Also on that stop, Jeff Gordon suffered a rare air gun failure, dropping him from seventh to 24th.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Folger to make MotoGP debut with Tech3 in 2017

JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA, SPAIN - APRIL 22: Jonas Folger of Germany and Dynavolt Intact GP  rounds the bend during the MotoGp of Spain - Free Practice at Circuito de Jerez on April 22, 2016 in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.  (Photo by Mirco Lazzari gp/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Yamaha Tech3 has confirmed that rising German talent Jonas Folger will make his MotoGP debut with the team in 2017, stepping up from Moto2.

Folger, 22, finished sixth in last year’s Moto2 riders’ championship, and already has one pole position and two podiums to his name after four races in 2016.

The Kalex rider will make the jump up to MotoGP for 2017, joining the Yamaha satellite team on a one-year deal with an option for a second.

“I am super excited about the news and I still can’t believe this is happening,” Folger said.

“I have been racing for years in the motorcycling world championship and to make the move up to the premier class is a dream come true plus I’d like to thank all my sponsors that have stuck by me all these years.

“Furthermore, it’s an honor to make this step with Yamaha, Hervé Poncharal and Tech3 team who have such a long and deep history in the paddock. I will try my absolute best to repay the faith the team has put in me, and I’m really looking forward to the new adventure.

“However, I will remain completely focused for the rest of the year in the intermediate class but I can’t wait for Valencia where I will sample the Yamaha YZR-M1 for the first time.”

Folger will get his first taste of the Tech3-run Yamaha bike at the traditional end of season MotoGP test in Spain this November.

Hamilton asks fans to trust and respect Mercedes team

SOCHI, RUSSIA - MAY 01:  Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes GP leaves the paddock after the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on May 1, 2016 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Three-time Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton has called on his fans to trust and respect the Mercedes team amid unfounded allegations of sabotage in the past two races.

Hamilton suffered an issue on his power unit in qualifying for both the Chinese and Russian Grands Prix, helping teammate Nico Rosberg on his way to a streak of four successive victories to start the season.

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff responded to claims on social media that the team was deliberately hindering Hamilton’s efforts by calling the accusers “lunatics”, before Mercedes itself wrote an open letter to its fans in response to the claims.

Hamilton has now issued a message of his own via his Facebook page on Friday:

Dear All,

I want you to know how grateful I am for all of your support. I’d like to ask that you please trust in my team, as I do. This is my family. These guys have been the greatest, hardest working people for me, and that is why I am now 3x World Champion.

Please don’t put any more thought into my team doing anything unjust towards me, and understand that it would be in no ones best interest for that to be the case. We’ve had the best 3 years together, and whilst it’s not going to plan right now, all will unfold in its own time.

I trust these guys 1000% and my mechanics are incredible, the best in the business. I respect them so please do the same. They are the guys that are going to make winning this championship possible.

Thank you once again.

Hamilton will bid to end Rosberg’s winning streak and get back into the title hunt when F1 arrives in Europe next weekend for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Button confused by Red Bull’s decision to drop Kvyat

SOCHI, RUSSIA - APRIL 30: Jenson Button of Great Britain and McLaren Honda in the garage during final practice ahead of the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on April 30, 2016 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

2009 Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button questioned Red Bull’s decision to drop Daniil Kvyat for Max Verstappen as of the Spanish Grand Prix, saying the team has “short memories”.

Red Bull announced on Thursday that Kvyat would be returning to Toro Rosso, its B-team, as of the next race in Barcelona, with Verstappen moving in the opposite direction.

The decision sparked mixed reactions on social media, with many pointing out that Kvyat had been on the podium just three weeks ago in China.

Button made the exact same point in a couple of tweets sent from his Twitter account on Thursday.

IMS confirms 100th Indy 500 reserved seats are sold out

Indianapolis 500
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials have confirmed Friday that the 100th Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil will have a sellout crowd, with confirmation all reserved seats have been sold.

“Every Indianapolis 500 is special, but the buzz surrounding the 100th Running has been building for nearly a year, ever since the checkered flag fell on the 99th,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said in a release. “Our fans are the best in sports and their incredible support of this year’s race will make it a truly historic day for ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.’”

Further information is linked here, via the IMS website.