Kobayashi focusing on racing amid Caterham’s uncertainty

2 Comments

The future of his team may be far from certain, but Caterham’s Kamui Kobayashi is simply focusing on the job at hand and trying to secure the best result possible on-track.

Speculation about the future of the backmarker team has been rife for some time now, forcing owner Tony Fernandes to deny that he was set to sell Caterham on more than one occasion.

However, it appears that he may have finally admitted defeat. His final tweet before shutting down his Twitter account earlier this week was “F1 hasn’t worked love Caterham cars”, and a sale is thought to be imminent.

For Kobayashi though, as there is nothing he can do about the financial situation of the team, he is just focusing on doing the best job possible out on track.

“Of course, I’m not wishing these stories,” he told Sky Sports. “I’m here for driving. I can’t change anything, you know? I cannot bring any money or stuff.

“Financially, I think we’re in a very difficult situation but I cannot do anything so I just focus on my job,” he said. “That’s part of my job actually. I’ll just try for a better result as much as I can.

“I just hope that somebody can help this team. This is the only thing I can say.”

Kobayashi returned to Formula 1 with Caterham in 2014 after a year out in endurance racing. The Japanese driver has gained a cult following for his aggressive and entertaining driving style, and it would be a shame to see him bow back out of F1 if Caterham folds at the end of the season.

Should Fernandes find a buyer soon though, the team may enjoy a new lease of life and have its future secured beyond the end of the season, be it as Caterham or under a different name.

Rebellion confirms LMP1 return, all-star line-up for WEC super season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rebellion Racing has confirmed it will return to the LMP1 class of the FIA World Endurance Championship for the 2018/19 ‘super season’ with an all-star line-up featuring Le Mans winners Neel Jani and Andre Lotterer.

Rebellion raced in LMP1 as a privateer between 2009 and 2016 before stepping down to LMP2 for the most recent season, capturing the class titles at the first attempt.

Following a push from the WEC and Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) to make LMP1 more appealing to privateer teams, Rebellion announced on Wednesday it would return to the premier class for the 2018/19 season with a two-car effort.

WEC LMP2 champion Bruno Senna will return with Rebellion next year, as will Mathias Beche, with the pair set to be joined by four new faces.

The most notable arrivals are Porsche factory drivers Lotterer and Jani, both of whom were left without an LMP1 drive following the closure of the German manufacturer’s program at the end of the season.

American racer Gustavo Menezes will also join Rebellion, stepping up after two years in LMP2, while outstanding 2017 rookie Thomas Laurent completes the Swiss team’s line-up.

“I am looking forward to coming back where my endurance career started nine years ago,” said Jani.

“Rebellion Racing played a huge role in my career and also helped me become a factory driver for Porsche. When Porsche stopped in LMP1, it was clear for me that I wanted to race again for Rebellion.

“With the new regulations, I hope we can reach the overall podium at Le Mans and with a bit of luck, maybe we can even grab some wins during the super season of WEC.”

“I am very happy to join the champion Rebellion team,” added three-time Le Mans winner Lotterer.

“The LMP1 project is very exciting and to be able to go on with the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the FIA WEC challenge is something I did not want to miss.

“I am motivated and looking forward to have a great time with great people there.”