NASCAR: For third straight race, all Hendrick drivers score Top-10s

Leave a comment

No doubt that Saturday night at Kentucky Speedway belonged to Team Penske. Between winner Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano, a Penske car led 236 of 267 laps in the Quaker State 400.

But while Penske dominated, the Hendrick Motorsports camp still had a good night in the Bluegrass State.

For the third consecutive Sprint Cup race, all four of their men came away with Top-10 finishes led by Dale Earnhardt Jr. in fifth.

Jeff Gordon, the current Sprint Cup points leader, finished sixth, followed by Kasey Kahne in eighth and defending Cup champion Jimmie Johnson in 10th.

Gordon was seeking to become the first driver ever to win on every active Sprint Cup track by taking the checkered flag Saturday night. But an air gun malfunction during a pit stop at Lap 127 caused him to fall from the Top 10 all the way to 23rd, severely damaging his hopes.

The four-time Cup champ was able to rally back inside the Top 10 late, but admitted to TNT afterwards that he thought their overall pace was going to be better.

“We did have the issues and got behind,” he said. “It seemed the car was pretty decent there at the end but not enough to really move up through there. It was pretty tough to pass and I thought we made the most of what happened to us today.”

Gordon also took back his comments on Friday about what he saw as Penske’s inability to carry over their stout qualifying pace to Race Day.

“I said they hadn’t been backing up their speed from qualifying, but they seemed to find it this weekend,” he said. “Wow, they were fast.”

Kahne also had to regroup during the race after trouble. On Lap 153, Kahne sustained some damage to his car in an incident that also involved Alex Bowman, Jamie McMurray, and Aric Almirola.

A slow late-race stop sent him further back, but Kahne was able to climb into the Top 10 by the checkered flag.

“I had to fight,” Kahne said. “We had some damage when the 1 [McMurray) stopped when another car was spinning.  I couldn’t get stopped I hit him, the 43 (Almirola) hit him, just too many cars in one spot on the road.

“We had a bad pit stop at the end that put us 18th and got back to eighth, so I was really happy with the speed of our Great Clips Chevy – just too many errors if you want to run up front.”

As for Johnson, he said that his poor 25th-place starting position had an impact on his race.

“I would work my way to the front and get in the top 10, top five and then come down pit road and because of our poor qualifying position we just didn’t have a good pit stall,” he said.

“I was between the 10 (Danica Patrick) and the 18 (Kyle Busch) and they were both fast all night long. I would lose five or six spots on pit road each time.

“…I think we were a competitive car and we could have been up there and maybe had a look at those guys in some clean air. But we just messed up on Friday and got behind the eight ball.”

Carlos Munoz back at Andretti Autosport for 2018 Indy 500

Getty Images
Leave a comment

After posting two runner-up finishes and three top-five results in four starts with Andretti Autosport at the Indianapolis 500, Colombian Carlos Munoz will come home to the team as its sixth driver in the 2018 race. He’ll instantly vault into win contention, given his pedigree at the Speedway and joining Andretti’s team that has won three of the last four ‘500s there.

Munoz raced full-time with Andretti Autosport from 2014 through 2016. While he scored his first career win at Detroit race one in 2015, and was series rookie of the year in 2014, it’s his runner-up results as a race rookie in 2013 and again in the 2016 race to teammate Alexander Rossi that loom largest.

Now, Munoz, who spent a single season at A.J. Foyt Enterprises before both he and Conor Daly were not retained for a second year, will join Andretti’s full-season quartet of Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti and Zach Veach along with previously announced fifth driver Stefan Wilson.

This will add another confirmed Honda entry to next year’s race. Honda has 12 full-season entries expected among Andretti’s four cars, then two apiece from the Ganassi, Rahal Letterman Lanigan, Schmidt Peterson and Coyne teams.

That number grows with Andretti’s two extra cars, and the combination of the SPM/Michael Shank car for Jack Harvey to confirm at least 15 Hondas for the 2018 Indianapolis 500. Honda has traditionally capped its number of entries at 18 cars.

The full release is below.

A familiar face will make its way back to the Andretti Autosport stable for the 102nd Running of the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race as Carlos Muñoz returns to the team, vying for his chance to kiss the bricks.

Muñoz made his Verizon IndyCar Series debut with Andretti Autosport at the 2013 Indianapolis 500, where he finished second, earning himself Indy 500 Rookie of the Year honors. The Colombian-native went on to compete full time with the team the following year. In 2016, Muñoz once again finished runner-up when his rookie teammate, Alexander Rossi, crossed the Yard of Bricks on a fuel-saving strategy to win the 100th Indy 500.

“I am very excited to be a part of Andretti Autosport again,” said Muñoz. “The team has been like family to me since day one, when I joined them five years ago to race Indy Lights. We have been so close to winning the Indy 500 – twice with the team – so I am especially excited to be back for that race and hopefully we will have a good result this year. I need to thank Michael [Andretti] and J-F [Thormann] for believing in me and wanting me to back in their car for the Indy 500. I am also excited to be back with my teammates, and I think we will continue to work really well together. We have six cars, so hopefully we will have a strong team working with the new [aero kit]. I am really looking forward to it – hopefully we can finally get that win we’ve been so close to.”

Muñoz will look to pick up where he left off with Andretti Autosport and add to the team’s historical success at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The team mirror’s Muñoz’s enthusiasm and is excited to have secured its complete lineup before the new year.

“We’re thrilled to have Carlos back in an Andretti car for the Indy 500,” said Andretti Autosport CEO Michael Andretti. “There is no denying that Carlos has talent at [Indianapolis Motor Speedway], he’s finished runner-up twice and that has fueled his determination to get to victory lane. He has already built relationships with his teammates and many of those on our crew, so it should be a seamless process for our six cars when they head out for the first time together.”

The veteran driver has built a resume that consists of 70 Verizon IndyCar Series starts, one win (Detroit Race 1, 2015), one pole position (Texas, 2016) and seven podiums. Muñoz competed under the Andretti shield from 2013 to 2016 and finished 17th in the 2017 IndyCar season.

Andretti Autosport has collected five Indianapolis 500 victories (Wheldon/’05, Franchitti/’06, Hunter-Reay/’14, Rossi/’16, Sato/’17) and seeks to become only the second team to earn three consecutive Indy 500 wins. Muñoz will join teammates Rossi, Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Zach Veach and Stefan Wilson on opening day in May for the team’s six-car effort.