F1 Grand Prix of Austria - Practice

Time is ticking for Jean-Eric Vergne at Toro Rosso


He may have had more than his fair share of bad luck so far this season, but time does appear to be ticking for Jean-Eric Vergne at Toro Rosso, and perhaps even on his F1 career.

Being a member of the Red Bull junior programme has its perks and drawbacks. The obvious benefit is the backing from one of motorsport’s biggest brands, with Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo being its two biggest stars. However, they have also set a dangerous precedent: this is the kind of quality that the team is looking for.

When Mark Webber confirmed at Silverstone last year he would be retiring, a race between Ricciardo, Vergne and Kimi Raikkonen was sparked for his seat. The Australian driver eventually won out, rising to the occasion and performing when it mattered. Vergne, on the other hand, failed to score in the final eleven races of the year.

So far this season, Vergne has two eighth place finishes to his name and eight points, but he could be right to feel short changed given that five of his races have ended in retirement. The Toro Rosso car has certainly improved since the beginning of the season, yet its pace is still hindered by the dud Renault engine in the back.

For Vergne, the pressure comes from below. Should he see out the end of the season, he will have started more races than any other driver for Toro Rosso, but history suggests it may not go far beyond that. Traditionally, Red Bull has jilted ‘under-performing’ drivers from the team in favor of other juniors. Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari were both hard done by, but they simply had not done enough and were sacked at the end of 2011. Vergne is already coming under pressure from the next batch of Red Bull juniors.

Carlos Sainz Jr. (son of his rally legend namesake) is the next junior in line for a seat, it would appear. He is currently leading the Formula Renault 3.5 championship, and all of the signs suggest that he will go on to win it. If anyone is going to get a seat at Toro Rosso, it would probably be him.

Then again, the same thing was said about Antonio Felix da Costa last season, only for the Toro Rosso seat to go to Daniil Kvyat. da Costa’s career appears to have hit something of a dead end, and he is now racing in the German DTM championship.

The outsider for Vergne’s seat would be Britain’s Alex Lynn. The youngster received Red Bull backing at the beginning of the season, and he is already proving his worth in GP3, leading the championship after four races.

For now though, Sainz must be the favorite. If he can follow in Kevin Magnussen’s footsteps to win the Formula Renault 3.5 title, it would surely be curtains for Vergne. Bad luck aside, a change has to come for the Frenchman to keep his F1 career alive.

Johnny Cecotto Jr’s retirement lasts just three weeks

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Friday 4 September 2015.
Johnny Cecotto (VEN, Trident) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _SBL1208
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Three weeks after announcing his retirement from motorsport, Johnny Cecotto Jr. will return to racing this weekend at the GP2 round in Sochi, Russia.

Cecotto said on Twitter that “today my career ends” on September 17, announcing that he had lost his backing provided by the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

However, the GP2 veteran will return to racing this weekend with Trident, having last raced for the Italian team at Monza one month ago. He will partner Ferrari junior driver Raffaele Marciello once again.

Cecotto’s return is just one of a number of driver/team stories heading into the GP2 race weekend at Sochi:

  • American driver Alexander Rossi returns to GP2 with Racing Engineering this weekend following his two-race stint in F1 with Manor. He will also take part in grands prix in the USA, Mexico and Brazil before returning to GP2 once again in Abu Dhabi.
  • Julian Leal has announced his retirement from GP2, and is replaced by debutant Dean Stoneman at Carlin. Stoneman won at Sochi in GP3 last year en route to second place in the championship.S
  • Sean Gelael will race for Carlin once again, having missed the round at Monza due to a Formula Renault 3.5 clash.
  • Nicholas Latifi returns to GP2 this weekend with MP Motorsport, racing alongside Rene Binder.
  • Nathanael Berthon also returns, racing for Team Lazarus.
  • Hilmer Motorsport will miss the round in Sochi altogether, reducing the grid down to 24 cars.

Formula E adds Hong Kong race for October 2016

Photo: FIA Formula E
Leave a comment

The FIA Formula E Championship will add Hong Kong to its calendar for its third season, 2016-2017.

The race will take place on October 9, 2016 – exactly one year from now – around the city’s Central district. The 2km circuit will run between Lung Wo Road and the Star Ferry, with cars reaching speeds of up to 225kph (140mph).

The launch event today featured the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Honourable CY Leung; Mr. Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development; Mr. Alejandro Agag, CEO, Formula E Holdings; Mr. Lawrence Yu Kam-Kee, President of the Hong Kong Automobile Association; and reigining FE champion Nelson Piquet Jr.

“The Hong Kong ePrix will be one of the highlights on the FIA Formula E Championship calendar,” Agag said in a release. “As one of the most innovative, cutting-edge and fun-loving cities in the world, Hong Kong and Formula E share many of the same qualities. We look forward to bringing all the fun and entertainment of Formula E to this amazing city, and international motorsport back to Hong Kong.”

The track map is linked below.

Hong Kong track map