Risk vs. reward: Regan Smith plays it safe, finishes second in Nationwide race at Daytona

Leave a comment

Regan Smith is no stranger to last lap wrecks, but in Friday’s Subway Firecracker 250, Smith made the choice to not risk wrecking and instead settled for a second-place finish.

In hindsight, it likely was the right move.

Had Smith, who led the most laps in the race (47 of 103), washed up the track at Daytona International Speedway, it likely would have created a huge wreck.

And his second-place finish would likely have been a lot further down the grid.

So, not only did Smith – who won the season-opening NNS race at Daytona in February – play it safe, he also regained the Nationwide Series points lead.

“I watched the replay and I blocked the 42’s (Kyle Larson) move and think if I’d gone up any higher, we’d probably all wreck there,” Smith told ESPN. “I had pretty good sized gap but at that point … I lost just enough momentum that it didn’t quite work out.”

But there was a silver lining for being, as Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights would say, the first loser.

“It was a teammate over there (in victory lane), so that’s pretty cool that Kasey got the win,” Smith said of JR Motorsports teammate Kasey Kahne, who rallied from sixth place to win on the final lap of the green-white-checker finish.

“(Kahne) pushed me to the win last year (April 2013 NNS race) at Talladega, so it’s good to see him get one and JR Motorsports got a 1-2,” Smith said.

While he’s now back atop the NNS standings with a 12-point edge over former points leader Elliott Sadler, who finished 21st in Saturday’s race, Smith was a bit down but realized what he did in the charge to the checkered flag was a means to an end.

“I’m disappointed,” Smith said, “but part of getting out of here is just getting out of here and not having anything stupid happen. Not too bad.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”