F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain - Qualifying

Ferrari, Williams suffer qualifying disasters at Silverstone

1 Comment

Ferrari and Williams will be wondering what happened today during qualifying for the British Grand Prix as neither team managed to get a driver out of Q1 at Silverstone.

Rain during the session made conditions difficult for the drivers, but when the track began to dry up, most opted to make the switch to dry compound tires. Marussia made this work particularly well to get both of its drivers through to Q2 for the first time since Belgium last year.

However, by opting to bide their time and wait to post a time on the dry tires, both Ferrari and Williams fell victim of another rain shower. As a result, Valtteri Bottas, Felipe Massa, Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen all dropped out in Q1, making up positions 17 to 20 respectively.

It marks Ferrari’s worst qualifying result since the 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix. Once again, the Italian marque was caught out by wet weather as Fernando Alonso qualified 19th and then-teammate Felipe Massa finished 21st at Sepang.

Having gained so much momentum in Austria with its best result in nine years, Williams came back down to earth quickly at Silverstone during qualifying. Both of the cars came unstuck in practice, and the team will be hoping to finally have some good luck during the race tomorrow.

The drivers will all gain one position by virtue of Esteban Gutierrez’s ten place grid penalty. After qualifying 14th, he will start from the back of the grid. Bottas and Massa will also pick up another place due to Max Chilton’s five place penalty for a gearbox change, meaning that the Briton will start P18 after qualifying an incredible 13th in the wet.

You can read the full qualifying report from Silverstone here.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski