IndyCar: Jack Hawksworth cleared to compete at Iowa

2 Comments

After missing last weekend’s race at Pocono due to a myocardial contusion sustained in a practice crash, Verizon IndyCar Series rookie Jack Hawksworth has been given the green light and will race in Saturday night’s Iowa Corn Indy 300 at Iowa Speedway (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra).

Hawksworth, driver of the No. 98 Bryan Herta Autosport Honda, was cleared to resume racing activities by INDYCAR medical director Dr. Michael Olinger according to a series release put out this afternoon.

Last Saturday, Hawksworth spun and crashed in Turn 1 during the second practice session. He was initially checked, cleared and released from the track’s infield care center, but was later transported to a local hospital and held there for overnight observation.

Hawksworth was released from the hospital on Sunday, but was not cleared to drive in that day’s Pocono IndyCar 500 and his No. 98 car was withdrawn from the grid.

In a team release, BHA said that putting in a substitute driver for Hawksworth at Pocono was not feasible and that they would focus on preparing their second car for Iowa.

“The guys are working on getting the [backup] car ready,” team owner Bryan Herta later told NBCSN during Sunday’s race. “…It’s a bump in the road. It’s unfortunate, but we should back on track next week.”

Yesterday, Hawksworth gave notice on Twitter that he and BHA are ready to get back in the fight.

Plans revealed for upgraded Circuit Gilles Villeneuve pit complex

Société du parc Jean‑Drapeau
Leave a comment

Plans for the upgraded pit and paddock complex at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada, have been unveiled ahead of their completion in time for the 2019 Formula 1 race.

The Canadian Grand Prix signed a new long-term F1 contract running to 2029 earlier this year, with a commitment to improving the outdated pit facilities at the circuit, built in 1988.

In a press conference earlier this week, further details and artist renderings were revealed for the CA$48 million project by the Société Parc Jean‑Drapeau.

A new glass structure will become the main pit complex, covering three levels to accommodate the teams, media and hospitality guests.

The construction work will commence at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in July 2018 – one month after next year’s Canadian Grand Prix – and be completed two months prior to the 2019 race.

Photo: Société du parc Jean‑Drapeau
Photo: Société du parc Jean‑Drapeau