(Photo: Jeff Curry/Getty Images)

Joey Logano going to backup car after practice crash at New Hampshire

Leave a comment

Joey Logano will be forced to use a backup No. 22 Team Penske Ford for the remainder of the Sprint Cup weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway after hitting the wall in practice.

With about an hour to go in practice, Logano suffered a left-rear tire failure while going into Turn 1.

The Connecticut native battled to keep his primary car from crashing but ultimately couldn’t save it.

Just minutes after the incident, Team Penske had the backup No. 22 out of its transporter and inside their garage stall at NHMS.

As for Logano, he was able to get out of the car under his own power and was eventually released from the infield care center.

“It wasn’t even close [to being saved],” Logano said to Fox Sports. “I needed about 500 more yards of straightaway to save that one. But unfortunately, we’ve got the second [car] out here to try and get tuned up for the race.

“It’s a bummer. I felt like our car was actually pretty good. It wasn’t great, but by all means, we were getting closer. I felt we were a Top 5 car and hopefully, this one’s just as good.”

Interestingly, Logano noted that this has been the third failure he’s had personally with this particular type of tire. All of them have involved the left-rear tire.

“And [today’s failure] was the third run on the tire, so that was kind of odd,” he added. “But it’s something we’ve had issues with on this tire. I had one go down in a Milwaukee test, [and] I know they had some issues when the cars tested here…And it’s left-rears all the time.

“I don’t know what it is…Maybe we need to look at something we’re doing to cause it, but we’ll figure it out.”

This ongoing session is expected to run until 1 p.m. ET, with qualifying for Sunday’s Camping World RV Sales 301 taking place later today at 4:40 p.m. ET.

Johnny Cecotto Jr’s retirement lasts just three weeks

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Friday 4 September 2015.
Johnny Cecotto (VEN, Trident) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _SBL1208
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Three weeks after announcing his retirement from motorsport, Johnny Cecotto Jr. will return to racing this weekend at the GP2 round in Sochi, Russia.

Cecotto said on Twitter that “today my career ends” on September 17, announcing that he had lost his backing provided by the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

However, the GP2 veteran will return to racing this weekend with Trident, having last raced for the Italian team at Monza one month ago. He will partner Ferrari junior driver Raffaele Marciello once again.

Cecotto’s return is just one of a number of driver/team stories heading into the GP2 race weekend at Sochi:

  • American driver Alexander Rossi returns to GP2 with Racing Engineering this weekend following his two-race stint in F1 with Manor. He will also take part in grands prix in the USA, Mexico and Brazil before returning to GP2 once again in Abu Dhabi.
  • Julian Leal has announced his retirement from GP2, and is replaced by debutant Dean Stoneman at Carlin. Stoneman won at Sochi in GP3 last year en route to second place in the championship.S
  • Sean Gelael will race for Carlin once again, having missed the round at Monza due to a Formula Renault 3.5 clash.
  • Nicholas Latifi returns to GP2 this weekend with MP Motorsport, racing alongside Rene Binder.
  • Nathanael Berthon also returns, racing for Team Lazarus.
  • Hilmer Motorsport will miss the round in Sochi altogether, reducing the grid down to 24 cars.

Formula E adds Hong Kong race for October 2016

Photo: FIA Formula E
Leave a comment

The FIA Formula E Championship will add Hong Kong to its calendar for its third season, 2016-2017.

The race will take place on October 9, 2016 – exactly one year from now – around the city’s Central district. The 2km circuit will run between Lung Wo Road and the Star Ferry, with cars reaching speeds of up to 225kph (140mph).

The launch event today featured the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Honourable CY Leung; Mr. Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development; Mr. Alejandro Agag, CEO, Formula E Holdings; Mr. Lawrence Yu Kam-Kee, President of the Hong Kong Automobile Association; and reigining FE champion Nelson Piquet Jr.

“The Hong Kong ePrix will be one of the highlights on the FIA Formula E Championship calendar,” Agag said in a release. “As one of the most innovative, cutting-edge and fun-loving cities in the world, Hong Kong and Formula E share many of the same qualities. We look forward to bringing all the fun and entertainment of Formula E to this amazing city, and international motorsport back to Hong Kong.”

The track map is linked below.

Hong Kong track map