Joey Logano going to backup car after practice crash at New Hampshire

Leave a comment

Joey Logano will be forced to use a backup No. 22 Team Penske Ford for the remainder of the Sprint Cup weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway after hitting the wall in practice.

With about an hour to go in practice, Logano suffered a left-rear tire failure while going into Turn 1.

The Connecticut native battled to keep his primary car from crashing but ultimately couldn’t save it.

Just minutes after the incident, Team Penske had the backup No. 22 out of its transporter and inside their garage stall at NHMS.

As for Logano, he was able to get out of the car under his own power and was eventually released from the infield care center.

“It wasn’t even close [to being saved],” Logano said to Fox Sports. “I needed about 500 more yards of straightaway to save that one. But unfortunately, we’ve got the second [car] out here to try and get tuned up for the race.

“It’s a bummer. I felt like our car was actually pretty good. It wasn’t great, but by all means, we were getting closer. I felt we were a Top 5 car and hopefully, this one’s just as good.”

Interestingly, Logano noted that this has been the third failure he’s had personally with this particular type of tire. All of them have involved the left-rear tire.

“And [today’s failure] was the third run on the tire, so that was kind of odd,” he added. “But it’s something we’ve had issues with on this tire. I had one go down in a Milwaukee test, [and] I know they had some issues when the cars tested here…And it’s left-rears all the time.

“I don’t know what it is…Maybe we need to look at something we’re doing to cause it, but we’ll figure it out.”

This ongoing session is expected to run until 1 p.m. ET, with qualifying for Sunday’s Camping World RV Sales 301 taking place later today at 4:40 p.m. ET.

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”