Vettel: Gap to Mercedes hasn’t changed since Australia

Leave a comment

Sebastian Vettel has said that Red Bull needs to make bigger gains with the RB10 car if it is to even begin to cut the gap to Mercedes at the front of the field.

Red Bull’s defence of its world championships has been very tame, whilst Mercedes has taken advantage of the new regulations to forge ahead at the front of the field with almost double the points of any other team.

Despite appearing to make up some ground over the first half of the season, Vettel feels that Red Bull is just as far behind the German marque now as it was in March, and is unsure whether the gap can be made up before the beginning of next season.

“It’s difficult to say right now,” Vettel said when asked about catching Mercedes for 2015. “The gap is very big and we didn’t really close the gap since race one.

“We have tried lots of things to improve but they do the same thing. We need bigger steps of development to close the gap even more. I think at the end of the season we can judge a little better what we need to do during the winter.”

The likely banning of FRIC suspension systems for the German Grand Prix could dent Mercedes’ advantage, but Vettel is unconcerned about the change at Red Bull should it go ahead.

“We know what we are running but we don’t know what they are running,” he said. “It’s pretty clear what the FIA has said and probably some teams will be more affected than other teams.”

Williams’ Valtteri Bottas also suggested that Mercedes of all teams will be affected, saying: “Maybe some teams could be more affected than us I would say. We’ll see, I don’t really know what’s going to happen.

“What will be the decision, I think we’ll be okay with it. I don’t think it’s going to be key to the season or anything like that.”

Vettel will be hoping to return to form at his home race in Germany next weekend, but barring a double failure for Mercedes like we saw in Canada, his hopes of securing back-to-back home wins appear to be slim.

Toyota victorious in Bahrain on Porsche’s LMP1 swansong

Toyota Motorsport GmbH
Leave a comment

SAKHIR, Bahrain – Toyota denied Porsche a swansong victory in its final LMP1 appearance in the FIA World Endurance Championship by taking a commanding win in the 6 Hours of Bahrain on Saturday.

Porsche started from pole in the last competitive outing for the three-time Le Mans-winning 919 Hybrid car, only to lose out to Toyota’s Sebastien Buemi within the first half an hour of the race.

Porsche lost one of its cars from contention for victory after an errant bollard got stuck underneath Timo Bernhard’s No. 2 entry, leaving Nick Tandy to lead its charge in the No. 1 car.

Tandy moved into the lead just past half distance after a bold strategy call from Porsche to triple-stint the Briton after a fuel-only stop, vaulting him ahead of Anthony Davidson in the No. 8 Toyota.

Tandy’s win hopes were soon dashed when he tangled with a GTE-Am backmarker at Turn 1, sustaining damage that forced Porsche into an unplanned pit stop that put the car a lap down.

With the No. 7 Toyota losing two laps following a clash with a GTE-Pro car earlier on, Davidson, Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima went unchallenged en route to the car’s fifth victory of the season.

Porsche rounded out the podium with its cars, with the No. 2 leading home the No. 1, leaving Toyota’s No. 7 car to settle for P4 at the checkered flag.

Vaillante Rebellion clinched the title in LMP2 after a stunning fightback led by Bruno Senna, with the Brazilian securing his maiden motorsport championship win in the process.

GTE-Pro saw AF Corse complete a hat-trick of titles in 2017, with James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi wining the class’ first world championship recognized by the FIA, while Paul Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy and Mathias Lauda sewed up the GTE-Am title.