Massa: Williams winning the fight to be best of the rest


Felipe Massa believes that Williams is winning the race to be the ‘best of the rest’ in 2014 behind the all-dominant Mercedes team.

The Brazilian driver has suffered a great deal of hard luck so far this season, with the latest incident seeing him get taken out on the first lap of the British Grand Prix. Across the garage, teammate Valtteri Bottas stormed to second place in the race, and Massa is sure that this proves the team’s position as second quickest to only Mercedes.

“I think so,” the Brazilian said. “Honestly the car was so competitive in the race, so we couldn’t be so competitive in the practice because we changed something on the setup which was not positive, then we went back to the car we had in Austria and the car was competitive in the race – unfortunately not for me because I couldn’t do the race.

“But for sure it was a very positive result for us because it shows the car was the quickest car in Canada apart from Mercedes, and also the second quickest in Austria just after Mercedes, and even here, so I think that’s really positive for us, and I hope we get to Germany and we have also the second quickest team.”

Williams currently sits fourth in the constructors’ championship, trailing Ferrari by just three points. For Massa, this kind of form will put the British outfit in good stead to take the fight to the Italian marque and to second-placed Red Bull, but he did not feel that the test at Silverstone on Tuesday will have contributed to the performance in Germany.

“I think this can be important to recuperate points and put the team in the big fight for the top three positions in the constructors’ championship,” he noted.

“The testing today is a little bit different. The testing today was also trying something, some ideas for the future, maybe even next year, and just doing some laps as well, so I didn’t do so much for Hockenheim but the car shows good pace straightaway so it was good to feel the car like that.”

Reaction to INDYCAR/NBC Sports Group announcement: Mario Andretti, Roger Penske, Bobby Rahal and social media

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Like countless others on the East Coast, Mario Andretti was fighting through a snowstorm Wednesday morning.

But emotionally and personally, it was a very bright and sunny day for the legendary Indy car driver.

In an exclusive interview with, Andretti spoke in glowing terms about this morning’s announcement of a multi-year media rights partnership between INDYCAR and NBC Sports Group beginning next year.

“I think this is awesome,” Andretti said. “It’s music to my ears and all of us. NBC has been very familiar with IndyCar racing, so they’re a great partner. I’m elated that it’s all nailed down, secured and I’m looking forward to the future.

“It’s also great for the young lads in Indy Lights coming on, and it’s great for all the sponsors to have that kind of exposure. It’s a good day for INDYCAR today.”

Andretti lauded the fact that all elements of INDYCAR coverage – TV, digital and streaming – will now be under one corporate roof, so to speak.

“Personally, I think it’s huge,” Andretti said. “Everybody is going to be very familiar with everything, the storylines are going to flow perfectly from event to event. There’s nothing like continuity.

“It’s okay sometimes if you have two networks, but to me, the best possible solution is this. That’s why I think this is really a great day for INDYCAR racing to have NBC involved and the continuity is huge for us.”

MORE: NBC Sports Group, INDYCAR partner on new TV and digital rights agreement starting in 2019

MORE: Optimism abounds with new INDYCAR media partnership


Several other high-profile individuals within the IndyCar community also gave their take on Wednesday’s announcement, including statements from team owners Roger Penske and Bobby Rahal.

Roger Penske: “As an industry, we are very fortunate to have the NBC Sports Group grow their presence and coverage of INDYCAR racing and really invest in the future of the sport. We believe there is a great deal of positive momentum in the Verizon IndyCar Series right now, from the development of the new race car, to the very talented group of young drivers and new teams coming into the sport this season.

“With the announcement of the enhanced broadcast partnership with NBC, it certainly adds to the excitement for the future. We know that the ways our fans are watching races and viewing INDYCAR content is rapidly changing, so staying ahead of the curve and the developing technology with our partners is important to the growth of our sport. We look forward to working with the NBC team to continue to build INDYCAR and take the sport in new directions.

“We also need to thank ABC and ESPN for all their terrific coverage over the years. The ABC network helped bring some of the most memorable moments in racing to life – including many of our team’s Indianapolis 500 victories – and we appreciate all of their hard work and passion for INDYCAR racing.”

Bobby Rahal: “It’s great news. I think the fact that the IndyCar Series will be under one roof, so to speak, network-wise can do nothing but great things for our sport. To increase to having eight races on network TV is also great news of course.

“The quality of the NBC broadcasts have gotten better and better over the last several years. They do a great job of providing interesting and entertaining content for the viewers and I think that will only continue to grow with the relationship going forward. That type of storytelling is also what helps bring new fans to the sport.”



Follow @JerryBonkowski