Fedex 400 Benefiting Autism Speaks - Qualifying

NASCAR: Extra laps lead to Gordon, Harvick running out of fuel

Leave a comment

Jeff Gordon and Kevin Harvick looked like they would pick up Top-5 finishes in today’s Sprint Cup race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway thanks to a call to stay out on track under a Lap 249 caution.

But their plans went awry when Justin Allgaier’s crash with four laps remaining in regulation sent the race into Green-White-Checkered.

Gordon would run out of fuel during the caution leading to the G-W-C restart, while Harvick himself hit empty as the field came down for the green flag.

The fuel woes relegated Gordon and Harvick to results of 26th and 30th, respectively. Not everything is bad for Gordon, however, as he retains the Sprint Cup championship lead by 12 points over Hendrick teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr.

After Denny Hamlin had to give up second for a splash of fuel under the final yellow, Gordon was to be behind leader and eventual winner Brad Keselowski for the G-W-C restart until his No. 24 Chevy went dry on Lap 302.

After getting to the pits for a splash, Gordon took the restart in 27th and gained one spot in the last two laps. Despite the heartbreak, both Gordon and crew chief Alan Gustafson still thought their late strategy was worth the risk.

In an interesting note, Gordon had actually fallen back as far as 26th during the early portion of the race due to handling issues.

He needed a wave-around to get back on the lead lap at Lap 113, but Gordon was able to move into the Top 10 by the caution flag at Lap 211. In subsequent pit stops, he was able to go even further up to third place.

Then, after staying out with 51 to go, Gordon assumed the lead for 18 laps before he lost it to Keselowski on Lap 270. Gordon would cede second as well to Hamlin at Lap 281 before Allgaier’s crash changed the complexion of the race.

“We knew we were very close,” said Gordon. “That pick-up is in the right side and so I was scuffing my tires and think I just took enough fuel out of the pick-up and I could never get any back in there. I tried.

“I think if we would have gone green, we would have been fine. I think it was really just because under caution it wouldn’t pick-up the amount of fuel that was in there. We might have run out anyway. But, it was the best effort and chance we had at winning this race.”

As for Harvick, he ran within the Top 10 before falling back to 19th shortly after halfway. On his final stop at Lap 213 (two tires, fuel, chassis), he was told to save fuel:

By this point, Harvick had climbed back within the Top 10 and he stayed in that bracket until the Lap 249 caution, where he did not pit. As the race hit its final stages, Harvick jumped into the Top 5.

When G-W-C went into effect, Harvick moved up to third with Hamlin pitting and then to second when Gordon ran dry. But instead of racing Keselowski for the win…

After the race, crew chief Rodney Childers both hailed Harvick and rued the late caution and extra laps.

Button confused by Red Bull’s decision to drop Kvyat

SOCHI, RUSSIA - APRIL 30: Jenson Button of Great Britain and McLaren Honda in the garage during final practice ahead of the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on April 30, 2016 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

2009 Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button questioned Red Bull’s decision to drop Daniil Kvyat for Max Verstappen as of the Spanish Grand Prix, saying the team has “short memories”.

Red Bull announced on Thursday that Kvyat would be returning to Toro Rosso, its B-team, as of the next race in Barcelona, with Verstappen moving in the opposite direction.

The decision sparked mixed reactions on social media, with many pointing out that Kvyat had been on the podium just three weeks ago in China.

Button made the exact same point in a couple of tweets sent from his Twitter account on Thursday.

IMS confirms 100th Indy 500 reserved seats are sold out

Indianapolis 500
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials have confirmed Friday that the 100th Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil will have a sellout crowd, with confirmation all reserved seats have been sold.

“Every Indianapolis 500 is special, but the buzz surrounding the 100th Running has been building for nearly a year, ever since the checkered flag fell on the 99th,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said in a release. “Our fans are the best in sports and their incredible support of this year’s race will make it a truly historic day for ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.’”

Further information is linked here, via the IMS website.

Verstappen’s engineer Pujolar leaves Toro Rosso

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - NOVEMBER 13:  Xevi Pujolar of Scuderia Toro Rosso and Spain during practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of Brazil at Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace on November 13, 2015 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  (Photo by Peter Fox/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Max Verstappen’s Toro Rosso race engineer Xevi Pujolar has left the team following the Dutchman’s move up to Red Bull Racing for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Red Bull announced on Thursday that Verstappen had been promoted to its senior Formula 1 team with immediate effect in place of Daniil Kvyat, who moves in the opposite direction.

Kvyat returns to Toro Rosso, moving in the opposite direction to Verstappen in a bid to ease some of the pressure he was facing following a disastrous outing at Russian Grand Prix.

In a tweet sent from his Twitter account on Thursday, ex-Williams and HRT engineer Pujolar confirmed that he would be leaving Toro Rosso after two and a half years.

Toro Rosso and Red Bull are yet to confirm which engineers will work with Kvyat and Verstappen from the Spanish Grand Prix next weekend.

Davidson would not turn down Jaguar Formula E drive

Anthony Davidson (GBR) 
Toyota Hybrid Racing
World Endurance Championship. 6 Hours of Bahrain. 18th-21st  November 2015. Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain.
Leave a comment

SPA – Anthony Davidson is open to a move into Formula E with Jaguar upon its entry to the championship later this year, but is yet to receive a serious offer from the British manufacturer.

Jaguar confirmed at the end of last year that it would be entering Formula E from the 2016-2017 season, and is expected to be competitive from the very beginning thanks to its relationship with championship battery supplier Williams.

As a result, the Jaguar seats are among the most coveted for the new season, leading to speculation that 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship winner and Toyota racer Davidson could become the latest driver to combine endurance racing duties with Formula E.

Davidson confirmed to NBC Sports that he’d be interested in doing so, but said he is yet to receive a serious approach.

“If I was approached seriously and wasn’t messed about by having to do a driver shoot-out or anything ridiculous like that, then maybe I would,” Davidson said.

“So far I haven’t had a serious approach. I would be up for it. I’m always up for racing in different cars, especially to drive a single-seater again would be nice, but it’s not high on my priority list at the moment.”

When asked by NBC Sports if a move to Jaguar would be of interest, Davidson confirmed that preliminary talks had been held but nothing had been firmed up.

“I got in touch, we were in touch. We had a chat and that’s about all that came from it,” Davidson said.

“I wouldn’t turn down an offer, let’s put it that way. But I’m not going to break a leg falling over myself to get into one.

“I’m 37 years old now. If I can’t sell myself now then there’s no point.

“If people don’t know what I’m capable of then that’s their loss.”