NASCAR Trucks: No. 51 team penalized for Iowa infraction

Leave a comment

Erik Jones and the No. 51 Kyle Busch Motorsports team were victorious last Friday night in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Iowa Speedway, but they’ve been penalized today by NASCAR after Jones’ truck was found to be too low in post-race inspection.

Jones has lost 10 driver’s points and owner Kyle Busch has lost 10 owner’s points. Additionally, Jones’ crew chief, Eric Phillips, has been fined $6,000 and placed on probation until Dec. 31.

Per NASCAR, the penalty is a P2 level infraction that violates Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 20B-12.8.1 (truck failed to meet post-race height requirements) of the 2014 rule book.

The Iowa infraction marked the second consecutive week that the No. 51 was found to be too low in the front after a win, as Kyle Busch took the No. 51 to victory at Kentucky Speedway on June 26.

A minimum ride height rule was abolished in Sprint Cup as part of its 2014 rules package, but such rules remain in both the Trucks and the Nationwide Series.

Over the weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Busch touched on why his KBM Truck team has been having issues in that regard.

“There’s a tolerance or a window of I think a quarter inch that you’re allowed in green,” Busch said according to NASCAR.com. “Well, we start at the low side of that because that’s the way our setup is. So it doesn’t really give us that much space to go through the yellow, which I think is three-eighths of an inch or so. [With] the Nationwide cars, I think that tolerance is a half-inch. They widened it and guys are not having issues now because the tolerance is bigger.

“Our Trucks still seem to be having that issue just because the tolerance window wasn’t opened up as what Nationwide is, so we’re trying to get it the best we can. It’s our front end setup stuff. People know what we’re running. They know what we’re doing. It’s just a matter of trying to get it fine-tuned a little bit more, where we can start higher and maybe maintain a little bit better height if they don’t change the rule.”

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne