Report: Ty Dillon to make Sprint Cup debut next month at Atlanta

Leave a comment

Nationwide Series rookie Ty Dillon will get his first taste of Sprint Cup action next month at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

According to a report from Motor Racing Network’s Dustin Long, Richard Childress Racing vice president of competition Mike Dillon (father of both Ty and current RCR Cup rookie Austin Dillon) has confirmed that Ty will drive the No. 33 Chevrolet as he attempts to make the field for the Atlanta 500 on Aug. 31 – the penultimate race of the 2014 regular season.

The report mentions that part of the reason behind having Ty make his Cup debut at Atlanta is because the RCR Cup team will be testing there next month.

Additionally, a second Cup race in 2014 is being planned for Ty – but where and when will come down to sponsorship.

In March, Ty tested a Sprint Cup car for fellow Chevrolet squad Furniture Row Racing at Texas Motor Speedway.

Ty currently sits fourth in the Nationwide Series standings at 34 points behind current leader Regan Smith.

He has yet to score a Top-5 finish, but has been very consistent with 11 Top-10 finishes and zero DNFs. Also, he has completed all but three laps run so far this Nationwide season (2,981 of 2,984).

His best finish this year has been a sixth at Bristol in March, while his worst finish has been a 19th at Road America in June. Ty finished 12th last weekend at New Hampshire after being forced to start from the rear of the field due to unapproved adjustments after qualifying.

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
1 Comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”