Alexander Rossi, Caterham part ways

2 Comments

American Formula One hopeful Alexander Rossi has confirmed a departure from Caterham, where he won’t be testing for the Caterham F1 Team nor racing with the Caterham Racing GP2 outfit for the remainder of the 2014 season.

Rossi, beyond his GP2 commitments, was also due to participate in FP1 at Austin this year after doing so last year, and also at Canada in both 2013 and 2014. He had just scored his first points of the GP2 season at the Red Bull Ring in Austria last month.

In a statement posted to his official Facebook page, Rossi said the timing was right to move given the ownership change at Caterham, and that other options will work better for his European feature.

“I will no longer be racing for Caterham as of today. It’s been an emotional couple of years with the team, the highlight being driving with them in Austin last year. Now it’s time to move on,” he said in the statement.

He added, “My goal is to be in F1 and add value to the sport and I’m very optimistic about my next steps; we have a great opportunity to grow the sport in the States and I believe the timing is perfect.”

My MotorSportsTalk colleague Luke Smith caught up with Rossi at Canada earlier this year; I last spoke to him at Daytona, when he was part of the lineup in the DeltaWing coupe for the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Things have of course changed for the 22-year-old American since.

Rossi’s next move will be an intriguing one to watch. The prospect of an American driving for the new American F1 team, Gene Haas’ Haas Formula, is tantalizing.

But still, Rossi remains the closest American driver on the doorstep of F1, and the hope is that this news keeps him well-positioned rather than removes his best opportunity.

Defending winner Takuma Sato to grace front of 2018 Indy 500 tickets

Photos: IMS/Chris Owens
Leave a comment

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has unveiled what the ticket for the 102nd running of the Indianapolis 500 will look like.

The ticket features blue and red foil stamped with a sculptural embossing of last year’s 500 winner, Takuma Sato, in victory lane, holding the ceremonial winner’s bottle of milk. Sato became the first Japanese driver to win the Greatest Spectacle In Racing, driving for Andretti Autosport.

The ticket was revealed Thursday during a ceremony at the Indiana Statehouse that featured Sato, now with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, as well as Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb, Hulman & Company President and CEO Mark Miles, IMS President J. Douglas Boles and Hulman Motorsports Senior Vice President of Events Allison Melangton.

The Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil will be held Sunday, May 27 at IMS.

Follow @JerryBonkowski