Dylan Kwasniewski will have a new crew chief this weekend for the Nationwide Series race at Chicagoland Speedway. Pat Tryson has been replaced as crew chief by former Turner Scott Motorsports car chief Shannon Rursch. (Photo: Rainier Ehrhardt/Getty Images)

Veteran Pat Tryson out as crew chief for Nationwide Series rookie Dylan Kwasniewski

Leave a comment

Veteran NASCAR crew chief Pat Tryson has been released after just 17 races as crew chief for Nationwide Series rookie driver Dylan Kwasniewski.

Turner Scott Motorsports announced Thursday that Shannon Rursch will replace Tryson atop the pit box for the No. 31 Chevrolet, effective with Saturday night’s NNS EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.

Rursch was previously car chief for the No. 31 NNS team.

“I respect (Turner Scott’s) decision,” Kwasniewski told SiriusXM NASCAR Radio Thursday afternoon. “It’s a shame to see Pat go obviously. We had a great relationship, and he’s a great crew chief.

“Now that we’ve got Shannon, I think he’s going to do a fantastic job. He’s got all the tools to do so. He knows what he needs to do, and I think he’s got the experience to do so.”

Kwasniewski, who is currently 12th in the NNS standings and is vying for series Rookie of the Year honors, has struggled greatly in his rookie season. The 19-year-old Las Vegas native has just one top-10 finish (no wins and no top-fives) in the first 17 races.

Since finishing eighth in the season-opening race at Daytona (started from the pole), Kwasniewski has finished 20th or worse eight times. In his last six starts, he’s recorded showings of 26th, 31st, 26th, 11th, 24th and 13th.

He also has three DNFs.

Kwasniewski has also made two starts for Kyle Larson in the NNS series when Larson was unable to compete for TSM in the No. 42 car. In those starts, Scott Zipadelli has served as crew chief and will remain in that position for any other races Kwasniewski has to replace Larson in this season.

Kwasniewski joined TSM for the 2014 Nationwide Series after winning the 2012 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West and 2013 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East championships.

In addition to 15 races as crew chief for Kwasniewski this season, Tryson was also crew chief for one race each in 2014 for Justin Marks and Chase Pistone.

In the Sprint Cup Series, Tryson was a crew chief from 1997 through 2013, serving with drivers including Mark Martin, Greg Biffle, Kurt Busch, Martin Truex Jr., David Gilliland, David Reutimann, Geoffrey Bodine, Kevin Lepage, Elliot Sadler and Ricky Rudd.

In 504 Sprint Cup races, Tryson earned eight wins, 62 top-five and 108 top-10 finishes as a crew chief.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Johnny Cecotto Jr’s retirement lasts just three weeks

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Friday 4 September 2015.
Johnny Cecotto (VEN, Trident) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _SBL1208
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Three weeks after announcing his retirement from motorsport, Johnny Cecotto Jr. will return to racing this weekend at the GP2 round in Sochi, Russia.

Cecotto said on Twitter that “today my career ends” on September 17, announcing that he had lost his backing provided by the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

However, the GP2 veteran will return to racing this weekend with Trident, having last raced for the Italian team at Monza one month ago. He will partner Ferrari junior driver Raffaele Marciello once again.

Cecotto’s return is just one of a number of driver/team stories heading into the GP2 race weekend at Sochi:

  • American driver Alexander Rossi returns to GP2 with Racing Engineering this weekend following his two-race stint in F1 with Manor. He will also take part in grands prix in the USA, Mexico and Brazil before returning to GP2 once again in Abu Dhabi.
  • Julian Leal has announced his retirement from GP2, and is replaced by debutant Dean Stoneman at Carlin. Stoneman won at Sochi in GP3 last year en route to second place in the championship.S
  • Sean Gelael will race for Carlin once again, having missed the round at Monza due to a Formula Renault 3.5 clash.
  • Nicholas Latifi returns to GP2 this weekend with MP Motorsport, racing alongside Rene Binder.
  • Nathanael Berthon also returns, racing for Team Lazarus.
  • Hilmer Motorsport will miss the round in Sochi altogether, reducing the grid down to 24 cars.

Formula E adds Hong Kong race for October 2016

Photo: FIA Formula E
Leave a comment

The FIA Formula E Championship will add Hong Kong to its calendar for its third season, 2016-2017.

The race will take place on October 9, 2016 – exactly one year from now – around the city’s Central district. The 2km circuit will run between Lung Wo Road and the Star Ferry, with cars reaching speeds of up to 225kph (140mph).

The launch event today featured the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Honourable CY Leung; Mr. Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development; Mr. Alejandro Agag, CEO, Formula E Holdings; Mr. Lawrence Yu Kam-Kee, President of the Hong Kong Automobile Association; and reigining FE champion Nelson Piquet Jr.

“The Hong Kong ePrix will be one of the highlights on the FIA Formula E Championship calendar,” Agag said in a release. “As one of the most innovative, cutting-edge and fun-loving cities in the world, Hong Kong and Formula E share many of the same qualities. We look forward to bringing all the fun and entertainment of Formula E to this amazing city, and international motorsport back to Hong Kong.”

The track map is linked below.

Hong Kong track map