Sutil not concerned about future with Sauber

1 Comment

Adrian Sutil has said that he is not concerned about his future despite a poor start to the season that has seen Sauber fail to score any points.

The German driver was rumored to be in the firing line for Sauber, with reserve driver Giedo van der Garde set to replace him according to a story in the Swiss press. However, he explained to NBCSN’s Will Buxton that he has no idea where these stories came from.

“I haven’t read it, so I don’t really know,” Sutil said. “I’m still here, 119 grands prix, that’s it.”

He is instead focusing on the job at hand and trying to make the most of the troublesome C33 Sauber car.

“There’s always what you have to do in sports, you have to work on and never give up, try to improve and push,” he explained. “Don’t talk too much – deliver. Me as a driver, I have my job to do first, and that’s what I have to do right now.

“The car is probably not the best but I can’t change that for the moment so maximize what the car can do. This is the job I want to do and achieve this weekend, and then for the near future, I hope to have a better car to make this racing a bit more enjoyable which is definitely the case when you’re in the top ten or in the race for points.”

The rumors about Sutil’s future weren’t helped when he deleted his Twitter account earlier this week. However, the German explained that there was nothing sinister behind it.

“I had no time,” he said. “It’s too much work for me on the phone so I’m very sorry.”

Although Sutil’s seat does appear to be safe for now, until Sauber’s results begin to improve, there will always be question marks hanging over his head and that of teammate Esteban Gutierrez.

Alonso would be ‘very happy’ to finish F1 career with McLaren

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Fernando Alonso says he would be “very happy” to see out his Formula 1 career with McLaren after signing a new multi-year contract with the British team, announced on Thursday.

Alonso, 36, ended speculation about his future by agreeing a new deal with McLaren, hopeful of returning to the front of the field next year when the team swaps Honda power for Renault engines.

Alonso admitted to considering options outside of F1 before agreeing to stay at McLaren, and was thought to only be chasing a one-year extension in order to be in a position to snap up a more attractive seat in the volatile 2019 market.

However, Alonso confirmed in an interview with the official F1 website that the deal with McLaren stretched beyond the end of next year, adding he would be content to see out his time in the sport with the team.

“I never talk about contracts, but one thing I can say is it is a long-term partnership,” Alonso said.

“I am very happy to finish my career at McLaren. So I don’t think it is going to be only one year.”

Alonso also revealed he had options with teams high up the field in F1 for 2018 just a couple of months ago, but was always leaning to staying at McLaren despite not scoring a podium with the team in almost three years.

“There were some other options in F1. In the summer there were still some options at the top teams, but my desire was to stay with McLaren,” Alonso said.

“But at that time they were in conversation with different engine suppliers, so I had to give them time to sort out their situation.

“Then McLaren opted for a Renault engine which delayed my decision, because I had to understand what Renault’s plans were for next years.

“But when I had everything on the table, everything was pretty clear.”