Bourdais dominates IndyCar Toronto race one (VIDEO)

1 Comment

TORONTO – Welcome back, Sebastien Bourdais.

The “bespectacled badass” turned in a drive Sunday in the first of the Honda Indy 2 in Toronto that was reminiscent of his glory years in Champ Car, when he won 31 races and four consecutive championships for Newman/Haas Racing from 2004 to 2007.

Driving the No. 11 Hydroxycut KVSH Racing Chevrolet, Bourdais won his first race since Mexico City, 2007 after leading a majority of Sunday’s first 65-lap race from pole position. The win occurs in Bourdais’ sponsor’s near home city, as Hydroxycut is based in the Toronto suburb of Oakville, Ontario.

“This is really sweet, man. That one didn’t come easy,” Bourdais told IMS Radio Network’s Nick Yeoman in victory lane. “We had to come and wait for a long time. The stars aligned. I was not expecting it, I know how things can go. Things played out in the end.

Last year we were second and third, so we had to win this one.”

The win is KV Racing’s first since the 2013 Indianapolis 500 with Tony Kanaan and additionally the team’s first podium finish as well. Bourdais is the ninth different winner and 18th different podium finisher this season; KV’s first podium of the year means only A.J. Foyt Enterprises, of full-time teams, has yet to record a top-three finish in the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Brazilians Helio Castroneves and Tony Kanaan finished second and third for Team Penske and Target Chip Ganassi Racing, respectively. Castroneves will extend his points lead while Kanaan’s race featured contact with Ryan Hunter-Reay toward the end of the race, exiting Turn 3.

Simon Pagenaud rebounded from early contact with Luca Filippi to finish fourth; Pagenaud will gain points on Will Power in the championship race as well, as the Australian finished ninth. Toronto double winner in 2013, Scott Dixon, finished fifth.

This afternoon’s second race from Toronto sees coverage begin at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra, while the green flag time is set for 4:15 p.m. ET.

Brown: Dennis would have made same decision on McLaren-Honda split

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Zak Brown believes former McLaren team boss Ron Dennis would have made the same decision to cut ties with struggling Formula 1 engine partner Honda had he still been in charge at the team in 2017.

McLaren executive director Brown helped engineer a deal for the team to split with Honda at the end of the 2017 season after three tough seasons that had seen the Japanese manufacturer offer little in the way of performance or reliability.

The decision split opinion, with McLaren spurning a significant annual financial injection from Honda in order to link up with Renault, believing its on-track fortunes had to be prioritized over its commercial interests.

In an interview with Sky Sports, Brown was asked if he believed Dennis – McLaren’s long-running team chief before stepping down at the end of 2016 – would have made the same decision to cut ties with Honda.

“I think he would have,” Brown said.

“He was here when those conversations were ongoing and I think Ron always has and always will have the best interests of McLaren in his heart.

“He is Mr. McLaren. It burns him inside as much as us not to see us winning races.”

Brown also elaborated on the decision to break off the much-lauded relationship with Honda, saying the first signs of trouble with the 2017 power unit were clear in pre-season.

After a number of attempts to try and rectify the situation, Brown and his fellow team bosses felt there was no alternative but to end the Honda deal for 2018.

“We knew we were in trouble in testing in Barcelona and we worked really hard for six months to try and find solutions that would give us confidence that we’d be much more competitive in 2018,” Brown said.

“Ultimately, after trying many different things and many different ways we felt we couldn’t get there.

“Three years is a long time in Formula 1 and so we needed to change the direction to get our team back at the top.”