Massa still adamant that Germany crash was not his fault

5 Comments

Felipe Massa remains adamant that the first corner crash with Kevin Magnussen at the German Grand Prix was not his fault at all, and has hit out at the McLaren driver for being too aggressive.

The two drivers came together at the first sweeping right-hander at Hockenheim on the first lap, causing Massa to roll in his Williams. The Brazilian driver walked away unharmed, but the FIA decided that it was a racing incident.

Massa made some comments after the crash criticizing Magnussen for trying to win the race at the first corner, and his stance has not changed since last Sunday.

“I think he was a little bit too aggressive,” Massa said. “There were two cars there that he had not even the line to make that corner so quickly because he was on the inside.

“At the end of the day, he lost also points because of that, so it’s not just me. For sure, I lost and it was a big loss, and I was very cautious on that corner. I even backed off for Valtteri to go in front.

“In my car it was impossible to know that someone else was there. I couldn’t see!”

General paddock consensus suggested that Massa was to blame, but he found this laughable, comparing it to the incident at the 2014 Australian Grand Prix where he was taken out by Kamui Kobayashi and was clearly blameless.

“So you see that there is a lot to improve even in the FIA,” he said when asked about the stewards actions.

“You think it was my fault? It was my fault in the first race as well in Australia,” he added with more than a hint of sarcasm.

“I’m just saying that if the stewards is thinking like that, I don’t know who they’re taking to be steward to be honest. How many races has he caused problems on the first lap?” he said, referring to Magnussen.

Massa is now moving on from the incident, though, and has switched his focus to this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix.

“I don’t think really we need to go to the past and live in the past,” he said. “You need to live in the future, we need to live the present and we need to concentrate to do a good job here. That’s the only thing I care about. What is past, it will not change.”

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”