Kurt Busch: No talks yet on a second Indy-Charlotte double

Leave a comment

As he looked back on his May attempt to run all 1,100 miles of the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day, Kurt Busch admitted that he ponders over whether he could do it all over again.

“Every day I wake up and I’m like, ‘Yes, let’s do it again,'” Busch said today at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway before practice began for this weekend’s Brickyard 400.

“Then there are thoughts of ‘I finished sixth, that’s pretty special.’ I don’t know if I could achieve that result again.”

Busch finished a superb sixth for Andretti Autosport in the ‘500‘, which served as his first IndyCar race ever.

But in the ‘600,’ his No. 41 Stewart Haas Racing Chevrolet suffered engine failure and took Busch out with less than 194 miles to go in his bid to complete the Double.

So with that 1,100-mile goal still yet to be reached by him, there figures to be incentive to give it another shot next year.

The Outlaw said today that no talks have yet begun on a 2015 Double program but also noted that he was “more than willing” to run one.

“After the month of May and winding down through June, and just like today coming back to the Speedway, there’s different moments of when it tells me, ‘Yes, let’s go do it again,'” he said. “Then there’s moments of ‘Just wait, let things pan out.’ My focus right now honestly is that 41 car and the Chase that’s coming up.”

“We last year went to — I don’t remember which date it was, and said this has to be our cutoff. So I think we’ll have some talks again. We’ll have some other dinners and time to hang out. We’ll see what presents itself.

“I mean, I’m more than willing to jump back in and try to do a full 1,100 miles because that’s the objective, to complete all 1100. It’s something special and it’s a target, and it’s only been achieved once. It’s very difficult to do.”

Tony Stewart, Busch’s teammate and boss at SHR, remains the only driver to have run all 1,100 miles of the Indy-Charlotte double. He pulled off the feat in 2001, finishing sixth in the ‘500’ and third in the ‘600.’

Audi bids farewell to Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich upon retirement

Audi Sport
Leave a comment

Audi bid farewell to its iconic head of motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, at its end-of-season ‘Race Night’ event in Germany on Friday upon his retirement.

Ullrich took over the reins as Audi’s head of motorsport in 1993 and stayed in the role for 23 years, overseeing its arrival in the prototype class of sports car racing and domination of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Ullrich stepped down from the position at the end of 2016, handing the reins over to ex-Audi DTM chief Dieter Gass, and attended his final racing event with the German marque at its first works Formula E outing in Hong Kong earlier this month.

Ullrich was honored at the Race Night event on Friday and thanked for his efforts in developing Audi into a force within global motorsport.

“In 566 factory-backed commitments during this period he celebrated 209 victories, 13 of them in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, eleven in the 12-hour race at Sebring and nine in the ‘Petit Le Mans’ at Road Atlanta,” a piece on Ullrich’s tenure for Audi’s website reads.

“31 driver titles in super touring car racing, in the DTM and in the sports prototype category are credited to him. 57 campaigners were Audi factory drivers during Wolfgang Ullrich’s era and he was responsible for 18 new developments of racing cars – an impressive tally.”