Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing

Hamilton: “As a team, we need to do better”


Lewis Hamilton was left ruing his bad luck once again in qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix after a fire on his car forced him to pull up at the side of the track without setting a lap time.

Hamilton started last weekend’s German Grand Prix from 20th position after suffering a brake failure during qualifying at Hockenheim, but lightning has struck twice, and he will start tomorrow’s race from the back of the grid following a fuel leak.

“I can’t really believe it today, there was just nothing I could do,” the Briton said. “There was an issue with the car as I was coming out of the second to last corner and then the engine just cut out. I thought we could get it back to the garage but then I looked in my mirrors and saw the whole rear end was on fire and that was it.

“Now we need to see what damage has been done to the car tonight and see whether the gearbox or engine needs to be changed.”

Hamilton has called on the Mercedes team to improve the reliability of the car, given that this is the sixth time this season that something has gone wrong on his W05 Hybrid.

“It’s getting to the point where it’s beyond bad luck now,” he said. “As a team, we need to do better.

“Tonight, I need to somehow find the way to turn this into a positive for tomorrow, then build on that going into the race.

“It will be a very difficult afternoon as it’s one of the hardest circuits to overtake on. But these things are sent to try us and how I come out of it is going to be the most important thing.”

Hamilton has traditionally excelled at the Hungaroring, and looked poised to become the first driver to win the race five times this weekend judging by his practice form. Now, he faces an uphill struggle to avoid losing yet more ground to Rosberg in the battle for the drivers’ championship.

Unsurprisingly, the FIA race stewards have confirmed that Hamilton will be permitted to race tomorrow despite not setting a time within the required 107% of the quickest driver in Q1.

“The stewards grant permission for car 44 Lewis Hamilton to start the race, as the driver has set satisfactory times in practice at this event,” read a statement.

You can watch the Hungarian Grand Prix live on CNBC and Live Extra from 7:30am ET tomorrow.

Johnny Cecotto Jr’s retirement lasts just three weeks

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Friday 4 September 2015.
Johnny Cecotto (VEN, Trident) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _SBL1208
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Three weeks after announcing his retirement from motorsport, Johnny Cecotto Jr. will return to racing this weekend at the GP2 round in Sochi, Russia.

Cecotto said on Twitter that “today my career ends” on September 17, announcing that he had lost his backing provided by the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

However, the GP2 veteran will return to racing this weekend with Trident, having last raced for the Italian team at Monza one month ago. He will partner Ferrari junior driver Raffaele Marciello once again.

Cecotto’s return is just one of a number of driver/team stories heading into the GP2 race weekend at Sochi:

  • American driver Alexander Rossi returns to GP2 with Racing Engineering this weekend following his two-race stint in F1 with Manor. He will also take part in grands prix in the USA, Mexico and Brazil before returning to GP2 once again in Abu Dhabi.
  • Julian Leal has announced his retirement from GP2, and is replaced by debutant Dean Stoneman at Carlin. Stoneman won at Sochi in GP3 last year en route to second place in the championship.S
  • Sean Gelael will race for Carlin once again, having missed the round at Monza due to a Formula Renault 3.5 clash.
  • Nicholas Latifi returns to GP2 this weekend with MP Motorsport, racing alongside Rene Binder.
  • Nathanael Berthon also returns, racing for Team Lazarus.
  • Hilmer Motorsport will miss the round in Sochi altogether, reducing the grid down to 24 cars.

Formula E adds Hong Kong race for October 2016

Photo: FIA Formula E
Leave a comment

The FIA Formula E Championship will add Hong Kong to its calendar for its third season, 2016-2017.

The race will take place on October 9, 2016 – exactly one year from now – around the city’s Central district. The 2km circuit will run between Lung Wo Road and the Star Ferry, with cars reaching speeds of up to 225kph (140mph).

The launch event today featured the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Honourable CY Leung; Mr. Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development; Mr. Alejandro Agag, CEO, Formula E Holdings; Mr. Lawrence Yu Kam-Kee, President of the Hong Kong Automobile Association; and reigining FE champion Nelson Piquet Jr.

“The Hong Kong ePrix will be one of the highlights on the FIA Formula E Championship calendar,” Agag said in a release. “As one of the most innovative, cutting-edge and fun-loving cities in the world, Hong Kong and Formula E share many of the same qualities. We look forward to bringing all the fun and entertainment of Formula E to this amazing city, and international motorsport back to Hong Kong.”

The track map is linked below.

Hong Kong track map