Another key member of the Race Team Alliance has said that their nine-team consortium is not out to pick a fight with NASCAR.
In Indianapolis, seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty insisted that any perception of the RTA having grand plans to take over the sport is false.
The two-car Richard Petty Motorsports team is part of the RTA, which officially formed earlier this month.
“Our main deal is not to run NASCAR,” Petty said to reporters Friday at IMS. “Anything we do to tear NASCAR down is cutting our own throats.
“We’re going to do everything we can to make NASCAR bigger and better. Because if we don’t, then we’re out of business.”
The RTA has maintained a stance of wanting to create a consensus voice that can relay concerns to the sanctioning body and work on cost-cutting in multiple areas such as team travel, insurance, and parts.
Petty stayed on that track in his comments at IMS, likening the situation to a farmer’s co-op.
“So far, that’s my main objective,” he said. “Can I save on insurance? Can I save on travel? Can I save [on] some stuff that we’re doing for the race car. Can we save time at the racetrack, stuff like that that we’ll keep from having to overpay with what we’re doing right now.”
However, NASCAR CEO Brian France recently said that he didn’t think the RTA’s formation was necessary and that the sanctioning body would be “dealing with all of the team owners – not most of them, not the big ones, but all of them.”
As you’d figure, Petty disagrees with France’s sentiments.
“It’s really kind of a bad idea from the standpoint that NASCAR should be doing what we’re doing,” he said. “We belong to an organization…And NASCAR should be making the best deals they can for their organization.
“We see them do a lot of that, but they’re not doing it as much as maybe the new crowd wants.”