Carl Edwards to leave Roush Fenway Racing at season’s end

Leave a comment

The Carl Edwards era at Roush Fenway Racing will soon come to a close.

This morning, the team announced that Greg Biffle, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and the incoming Trevor Bayne will make up its driver lineup for the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season – and that Edwards, who has won 23 Cup races and a Nationwide Series championship (2007) for the team, is moving on.

Biffle and Stenhouse will continue driving their No. 16 and 17 Fords respectively, while former Daytona 500 champion Bayne will make his full-time return to Cup in the No. 6.

“I will always be thankful for Carl’s contribution and the role he played in many Roush Fenway wins and championships,” team owner Jack Roush said in a statement.

“We wish him well for the future. In the meantime, we are excited about continuing our quest for a championship with Carl and the No. 99 team in 2014.”

Additionally, with Edwards’ exit, longtime No. 99 sponsor Fastenal will now become the primary backer for Stenhouse starting next year.

Edwards currently sits sixth in the Sprint Cup standings and is currently the lone Roush driver to have locked himself into this year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup by virtue of his two wins at Bristol and Sonoma earlier this year.

He now officially becomes the biggest free agent in the Sprint Cup garage. For months, the Missouri native had maintained silence on his contract situation with Roush and on what his future may hold. However, Edwards has been heavily linked to a new, fourth car at Joe Gibbs Racing for 2015.

As for the team he’ll be leaving behind, Roush Fenway has an interesting mix of drivers in the stable for next year.

Biffle has been with the team since 1998 and has won championships for the team in both the Camping World Truck Series and the Nationwide Series. But now, he’ll be the team’s lone elder statesman, so to speak, while the younger Stenhouse and Bayne continue to come into their own at NASCAR’s top level.

Stenhouse will be entering his third season of Cup racing in 2015, while Bayne will be shifting to a full-time Cup ride after several years of running a full Nationwide schedule for Roush and a part-time Cup schedule for the Wood Brothers.

“The focus of our leadership is going to be with Greg Biffle and the things that he does for the race car and the leadership he provides for the engineering initiatives we’ll take,” Roush said to reporters this morning.

“We had that split with Carl and Greg together this year, so that will be a little different this year. But Ricky is ready to step up, and Trevor’s a Daytona 500 winner and he drives his car with great enthusiasm in the Nationwide Series.

“We’re not going to be in a bad place next, it’s just going to be a little different.”

The Callaway Corvette GT3 is coming to America, in PWC

Photo: Callaway Competition USA
Leave a comment

Pirelli World Challenge has been in need of some good news from a car count standpoint early into this offseason, and receives it Monday with confirmation Callaway Competition will bring its GT3-spec homologated Corvette C7 GT3-R Stateside next season.

The withdrawal of the factory Cadillac Racing program after PWC’s season finale in Sonoma in September has opened the door for the factory-blessed Corvette C7 GT3-R to run in North America, because Cadillac’s ATS-V.R has been the lone GT3-spec car under the General Motors awning for the last three seasons, while the Callaway Corvette has raced only internationally.

Reeves Callaway has been on site at the tail end of the PWC season to survey the opportunity and now a deal has been struck for a factory effort to run next year, before the Callaway Corvette program becomes a customer effort in 2019. This follows the same timeline as Acura did with its new NSX GT3 this year to run it as a factory program in 2017 before shifting to customer efforts in 2018.

“Joining the Pirelli World Challenge has been a long term objective for Callaway Competition,” Callaway said in a release. “Now the field is a roll-call of the most capable sports cars from every country. To do well here, you must beat the best in the world. What better way to showcase our iconic American car?

“For 2018, we will run a Callaway factory team to give us the best chance of continuing the championship record the Corvette has achieved in international competition. For 2019, we will not race against our customers, but provide high-quality support to them in the tradition of other manufacturer customer racing support programs.”

“For several years fans have asked when they would see the Callaway Corvette GT3 run in the Pirelli World Challenge,” added Greg Gill, President and CEO of Pirelli World Challenge. “The wait is over and we are very pleased to announce the arrival of the Callaway Corvette GT3 for the 2018 season.”

The Callaway Competition USA Corvette C7 GT3-R will be unveiled and both full season drivers announced at the Performance Racing Industry show in Indianapolis on December 7 at the Pirelli World Challenge booth. Following the unveiling event, the car will be on display for the remainder of the trade show. Details of the presentation will be announced in the coming weeks.

Callaway’s confirmation comes amidst the likely drawdown of potentially nine or 10 cars that raced in PWC’s GT and GTA ranks either all season or most of it in 2017, among at least five manufacturers. That’s not to say those losses can’t be recouped elsewhere on the grid, over the next several months before the St. Petersburg season opener in March.

PWC will hold its annual state of the series and competitor meeting to finalize the next year’s plans at the PRI show as well.